E-ZPass news and updates
MnPASS is now E-ZPass!
E-ZPass is the largest group of interoperable tolling systems in the country and is found in 19 states. Your E-ZPass tag works on all E-ZPass systems throughout the United States eliminating toll plaza stops. An E-ZPass account makes driving to the east coast a breeze!
E-ZPass Minnesota operates the same as MnPASS, giving travelers a more reliable option during busy commuting hours, 6-10 a.m. and 3-7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Your MnPASS tag will continue to work in Minnesota—current customers can keep your MnPASS tag for Minnesota travel, or swap to a new E-ZPass tag for free. Note: you must have an E-ZPass tag to use on other E-ZPass states.
The rules for using E-ZPass vary depending on where and when you travel. In Minnesota, single occupant vehicles pay a fee only during peak commuting hours. In other states, hours of operation change, and the number of people required for HOV status might be different. For a full list of E-ZPass states and rules, go to e-zpassiag.com click on “About E-ZPass” and then “Where can I use it.”
Your I-PASS tag now works in Minnesota! If you are driving as a solo driver during busy weekday commutes, you can use your I-PASS tag to drive in the Minnesota E-ZPass lanes.
Driving with two or more in the vehicle? Your I-PASS tag is always in fee-paying mode—you are charged no matter how many people you have in the vehicle. If you are driving as a carpool (HOV 2+), and do not wish to be charged, you either need to remove your I-PASS tag from your vehicle or register for a Minnesota E-ZPass tag which offers the ability to switch between HOV and single occupant status.
Note: if you have multiple tags, e.g. from I-PASS or other E-ZPass states, make sure to only have one tag in your vehicle at a time to avoid being double charged for your trip.
Open for in-person customer service with restrictions:
- The Golden Valley E-ZPass Minnesota Service Center is open for in-person customer service.
- Walk-in service is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.—Please ring the doorbell and a representative will come out to greet you.
- A brief health screening is required to enter the building.
- Face coverings are required in all state buildings—even if you are vaccinated.
- Only three customers are allowed in lobby at a time.
- If the lobby becomes busy, we may ask you wait outside as we serve customers ahead of you. We will bring customers into the lobby in the order you arrive.
- If you are uncomfortable with an in-person transaction, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-866-397-4334.
Thank you for your understanding.
E-ZPass Minnesota electric vehicle incentive
This pilot program addresses a larger goal of trying to get more electric vehicles on the road in Minnesota by giving E-ZPass Minnesota credits to people who purchase or lease a new or used electric vehicle between November 1, 2019 and October 31, 2022. The E-ZPass Minnesota incentive encourages those who are thinking about purchasing or leasing a vehicle to choose an electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. Note: you must have or open an E-ZPass Minnesota account including all minimum balances and fees, as applicable, to receive E-ZPass Minnesota credit. Only one electric vehicle incentive per account. E-ZPass Minnesota promotional credits can be used only on Minnesota E-ZPass lanes.
How it works
- Purchase or lease a new or used battery electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle between November 1, 2019 and October 31, 2022. (Not valid for electric motorcycles. Motorcycles are always free on E-ZPass Minnesota lanes.)
- Verify proof of purchase, proof of lease or title transfer with the E-ZPass Minnesota customer service center.
- Note: Due to COVID-19, qualifying proof of purchase or lease can be submitted by email to email@example.com. You will be notified once it is approved.
- Receive a one-time credit per account to pay toll charges for using E-ZPass Minnesota lanes.
- Battery electric vehicles receive a one-time E-ZPass Minnesota credit of $250.
- Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles receive a one-time E-ZPass Minnesota credit of $125.
- E-ZPass Minnesota credits do not expire unless the account is closed. All other terms of agreement apply.
- Credit is available one time only per account and only valid for the E-ZPass Minnesota system.
For More Information
Contact E-ZPass Minnesota customer service center or call 1-866-397-4334.