This Consultant Corner page provides important information to the consultant community regarding Professional/Technical (P/T) contracting with MnDOT. Below, you will find notable changes to the P/T contracting process, helpful reference documentation and information, quick links to navigate through the Consultant Services website, and information on the MnDOT and Consultant Community Collaboration project.
Subcontractor Reporting (April 2019)
The Department of Administration has a new subcontractor reporting requirement for contracts that are greater than or equal to $500,000. The language below will be included in our solicitation documents and any contract greater than or equal to $500,000.
The State of Minnesota is committed to diversity and inclusion in public procurement. If the total value of your contract may exceed $500,000, including all extension options, you must track and report, on a quarterly basis, the amount you spend with diverse small businesses. When this applies, you will be provided free access to a portal for this purpose, and the requirement will continue as long as the contract is in effect.
MnDOT will be notifying the Dept. of Administration when there are contracts that meet this criteria. The Department of Administration will pull the contact information from each contract and enter it into their portal. The Contractor’s contact will receive the following correspondence from the Department of Administration:
- The portal will send a welcome message to the Contractor’s contact person with log-in credentials and links to online instructions
- The message invites the Contractor’s contact to attend an optional live webinar session
- The Contractor starts entering its company information into the portal and checks for its suppliers and subcontractors in the pre-existing list of vendors
- Once a supplier or subcontractor is identified, the Contractor can start tracking spend
Overhead Cap Change for P/T Contracts (April 2019)
The overhead cap for MnDOT P/T contracts will be changed from 160% to 170% for all P/T contracts that have a Contract Process Start Date of April 15, 2019 or later.
- Contracts that are already in process priot to April 15, 2019 will be subject to the overhead cap of 160%.
- Amendments to contracts that were started prior to April 15, 2019 will be subject to the overhead cap of 160%.
- Contracts started on or after April 15, 2019 will be subject to the new 170% overhead cap.
Please read all documents pertaining to contracts (Solicitations, Contracts, Invoices, etc.) carefully as for some time there will be different overhead cap language and numbers because many contracts are already in process – some will have 160% listed as the cap, others 170%.
Also, note that the Fixed Fee Rate Worksheet and the additive calculations related to Overhead will be adjusted for new contracts with Contract Process Start Dates of April 15, 2019 or later.
If you have questions, please contact Consultant Services Help Line at (651) 366-4611.
Travel (Mileage) Reimbursement (January 2019)
Starting January 1, 2019, the standard IRS mileage rate for business use of a personal vehicle is increasing to .58 (cents) per mile.
DBE/TGB/VET Total Payment Affidavit
Reminder: When a small business goal is set on a project, consultants must complete and submit the appropriate Total Payment Affidavit to the Office of Civil Rights. The form should be submitted once all work contracted to be performed with the small business(es) has been satisfactorily completed. The Total Payment Affidavit is included as part of each Special Provisions Packet. Completed Affidavit can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Office of Civil Rights, 395 John Ireland Blvd., MS 170, St. Paul, MN 55155.
Work Force Certificates of Compliance
For contracts greater than $100,000, firms are required to have a current Work Force Certificate on file with the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. In addition, for contracts greater than $500,000 firms are required to have a current Equal Pay Certificate.
What is a workforce certificate?
A workforce certificate is a certificate issued to a business by the Commissioner of Human Rights. The Commissioner issues the workforce certificate to a business upon reviewing its affirmative action plan.
What businesses need to obtain a workforce certificate of compliance?
Any business that employs 40 or more employees in a state and that seeks to enter into a contract for goods or services with the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, the Metropolitan Council, the Minneapolis Metropolitan Airports Commission, or the Metropolitan Mosquito Control Commission (bid award entities) that is over $100,000 or is likely to exceed $100,000.
If you have specific questions about your firms certification call or email the Minnesota Department of Human Rights at 651-536-1100 (Ask for Compliance) or email@example.com.
AASHTOWare Access Provisions
P/T contracts that include AASHTOWare activities must adhere to the following agreements:
New Performance Evaluation Work Flow
MnDOT's new Performance Evaluation Work Flow Process is now in use. Please refer to the documents below for instructions:
- Consultant Guide: MnDOT P/T Contract Performance Evaluation Process (.DOCX) Updated 08/2019
- Automated Performance Evaluation Process Instructions (.DOCX) Updated 08/2019
If you have additional questions, after reviewing the documentation, please call the Consultant Services Help Line at 651-366-4611
Following are a few key reference documents that are beneficial for the consultant community.
- Design Guidance: Sediment Control Design Details (PDF 0.5MB) and Design Scene
- Contant List for MnDOT District and Office Consultant Coordinators: Consultant Coordinators List (.DOCX) Updated 08/2019
- Contact names, phone numbers and roles for the Consultant Services Section: Consultant Services Contacts (Word 55KB, Revised 9/17)
- Instructions on how to fill out the Progress Report Form: Progress Report Form Instructions (Word 20KB)
- Pre-Award Audit and Budget Spreadsheet Information and Guidance: Below are helpful forms and guidance to aid in preparing a Pre-Award Audit Package:
Website navigation links
Following are links to other sections of the Consultant Services Website, for quick access: