This Consultant Corner page provides important information to the consultant community regarding Professional/Technical (PT) contracting with MnDOT. Below, you will find notable changes to the PT contracting process, helpful reference documentation and information and quick links to navigate through the Consultant Services website.
Travel (Mileage) Reimbursement (June 2022)
Starting July 1, 2022, the standard IRS mileage rate for business use of a personal vehicle is INCREASING to .625 (cents) per mile. This new rate should be used for all contracts and consultant billing from July 1, 2022 forward (currently, through December 31, 2022).
MnDOT Safe Harbor Program (June 2022)
In 2019, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) approved the use of the Safe Harbor Overhead Rate Program for the consultant overhead rate calculation with a cap of 110%. The purpose of this program is to allow time for engineering consulting firms to satisfy the requirements of Part 31 of the Federal Acquisition Regulation for Overhead Calculations.
In 2022, MnDOT established a Safe Harbor Program for use with consultant contracts. Consulting firms that provide engineering and design-related services on fixed hourly rate contracts may be eligible to enroll in MnDOT’s Safe Harbor Program. This program allows a consulting firm to use MnDOT’s established Safe Harbor Overhead Rate of 110.00% of direct labor for the first two years that it is under contract to work with MnDOT.
To participate in the Safe Harbor Program, consultants must certify their intent and commitment to actively work with an accountant or bookkeeper to establish an accounting system, using QuickBooks or similar software.
Additional information on how to participate: Safe Harbor Program Quick Look
UPDATE: COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination and Testing (May 2022)
Effective Tuesday, May 24, 2022 Minnesota Management and Budget has rescinded the COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination and Testing Policy (HR/LR #1446), effectively rescinding MnDOT’s policy as well.
Insurance Certificates (December 2021)
In an effort to cut down the amount of paper received in the office, Consultant Services is encouraging the electronic submittal of insurance certificates. Please email the insurance certificates (identifying the MnDOT Contract Number) to: firstname.lastname@example.org (copy the State’s Authorized Representative). When submitting electronically, hard copies are not necessary.
Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan Information (September 2021)
- FHWA Guidance on PPP Loan Forgiveness (PDF)
- Paycheck Protection Program Cost Recovery Considerations (PDF)
- Paycheck Protection Program FAQ (PDF) Updated 9/28/21
- Paycheck Protection Program Exception Memo to Consultants with State Funded P/T Contracts (PDF) Updated 9/28/21
- MnDOT Paycheck Protection Program Certification Form (PDF)
For additional information visit MnDOT Audit's website at mndot.gov/audit/rates.html
Performance Evaluation Work Flow
Performance Evaluation Application Update (08/22/2019)
There is a new web address for the Performance Evaluation Application for Professional/Technical contracts:
- You can also access the Performance Evaluation Application through MnDOT's website: www.dot.state.mn.us (MnDOT A to Z under Performance Evaluation Application).
- Any Performance Evaluation Application emails that include the old web address will automatically redirect you to the updated web address.
- New Performance Evaluation Application emails will include the updated web address.
If you have any questions or run into issues please contact Melissa Brand in Consultant Services.
Please refer to the documents below for instructions:
- Consultant Guide: MnDOT P/T Contract Performance Evaluation Process (.DOCX) Updated 08/2019
- Automated Performance Evaluation Process Instructions (.DOCX) Updated 08/2019
If you have additional questions, after reviewing the documentation, please contact Consultant Services.
AASHTOWare Access Provisions
P/T contracts that include AASHTOWare activities must adhere to the following agreements:
Following are a few key reference documents that are beneficial for the consultant community. Contact information can be found under the Contacts tab.
- Instructions on how to fill out the Progress Report Form: Progress Report Form Instructions (Word 20KB)
- Pre-Award Audit and Budget Spreadsheet Information and Guidance: The Pre-Award Audit Information Package can be found under the Contract Documents tab above. For additional information, please visit the Office of Audit's website for the most up to date information - mndot.gov/audit.