About this project
We are working with our partners to provide environmental documentation and preliminary and final engineering reconstruction of the I-494 freeway that travels through the cities of Bloomington, Richfield, Eden Prairie and Edina.
In 2018, Corridors of Commerce, a state road improvement grant program, awarded the project $134 million to introduce MnPASS lanes from EB France Ave. to Hwy 77 and from WB Hwy 77 to I-35W. An additional $70 million was awarded to construct a directional ramp for NB I-35W to WB I-494 traffic.
The I-494 vision is a major construction project that cannot be built all at once due to funding limitations and impacts during construction. The implementation plan identified four separate construction projects to complete the entire I-494 corridor vision.
In 2021, the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) awarded $60 million to aid in the construction of project 1 of the I-494 corridor vision implementation plan.
The current stage is focusing on project 1 to finalize preliminary design and environmental review process. project 1 will extend from East Bush Lake Rd. to 12th Ave.
To learn more about the I-494 vision, visit the online open house.
Summary of work
- Provide a transit advantage to increase the number of people who can be efficiently moved through the area
- Improve the reliability of the average rush-hour trip
- Improve safety
- Restore pavement to preserve infrastructure and provide a smoother ride
- Improve drainage systems to reduce localized flooding and reduce run-off into the Minnesota River
- Preserve existing bridges