Managing regulated materials on building and bridge projects
MnDOT's Office of Environmental Stewardship, Regulated Materials Management Team (RMMT) ensures that asbestos containing materials and other regulated materials are properly identified and managed. Provides assistance on building demolition or relocation projects and bridge demolition or rehabilitation projects to ensure proper identification and management of regulated materials.
Highway project planning
- Step 1: Determine if regulated materials need to be addressed for the project. Consult the threshold criteria in the Highway Project Development Process (HPDP) guidelines under subject guidance regulated materials/waste.
- Step 2: Include RMMT work activities in P6 project schedule.
- Step 3: Send project Early Notification Memo to RMMT contact.
An assessment must be completed before any structure is demolished or relocated, to determine whether asbestos containing materials or other regulated materials are present.
The appropriate notifications must be submitted to regulatory authorities prior to asbestos abatement, structure demolition or relocation activities, regardless of whether regulated waste or asbestos was discovered during the assessment. Typically, the contractor performing the work completes and submits the notification form.
Policy and forms
- Best Practice BP5-05 (PDF) procedure for demolishing or relocating structures
Asbestos containing materials found discivered during the assessment must be properly removed and disposed of.
- Peeling paint management (PDF)