Notification is required for all demolition projects and additional notification is required for demolition/relocation projects that have structures with asbestos containing materials (ACM) with 1% or greater asbestos content.
Demolition notification must be submitted to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and to municipalities that have authority granted by the Department of Labor and Industry to enforce the State Building Code. Municipalities with this authority may require additional notification and payment of fees.
Notification for structure demolition or relocation when ACM containing 1% or greater asbestos is present, must be submitted to both the MPCA and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH). The contractor must provide a copy of all notifications, including any amended notifications, to the MnDOT Project Engineer.
Asbestos containing material (ACM) notification threshold criteria
If ACM has an asbestos content equal to or less than 1%
- No notification is required. However, if vermiculite material contains any amount of asbestos, it must be abated by a MDH licensed abatement contractor selected from the MnDOT certified contractor list. Other ACM material with asbestos content less than 1% may remain in the structure.
If ACM has an asbestos content greater than 1% and one of the following conditions apply
- Amount of ACM is greater than 160 square feet or 260 linear feet or 35 cubic feet per project – NOT per structure. Project is defined as all the parcels for a given project combined.
Then, notification to MDH and MPCA is required under MnDOT policy. Note: State regulations allow for some types of ACM to be exempt from the notification process but Mn/DOT policy does not allow these notification exemptions.
- Amount of ACM is less than 160 square feet or 260 linear feet or 35 cubic feet per project. Then, no notification is required. However, the asbestos must still be abated by a MDH licensed abatement contractor selected from the MnDOT certified contractor list.
- Notification of Intent to Perform a Building Demolition (PDF) – Required for all building demolition or relocation projects.
- Notification of Intent to Perform a Bridge Demolition (Word) – Required for all bridge demolition or relocation projects.
- Notification of Asbestos Related Work – Required for all building and bridge projects where ACM is present. This is in addition to the required demolition notification forms.
The MPCA requires a minimum 10-working day notification prior to demolition. If the contractor does not begin demolition on the start date declared in the 10-day notification form, the contractor must submit an amended notification form to the MPCA before proceeding with the demolition. For buildings, all asbestos abatements and regulated waste/material removal must be completed a minimum of 48 hours prior to demolition.
The MDH requires a minimum 5-calendar day notification prior to abatement of ACM in accordance with the ACM Notification Threshold Criteria. The MPCA requires a minimum 10-working day notification prior to abatement of ACM in accordance with the ACM Notification Threshold Criteria.