History & significance
Bridge L8882, built in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), carries East 50th Street generally east-west over Minnehaha Creek in Minneapolis. It is located within the Minnehaha Parkway, a regional recreational trail that is a contributing resource to the Grand Rounds Historic District.
The 32-foot-long bridge is a significant combination of modern engineering with a rustic aesthetic treatment. The underlying design is a concrete rigid-frame structure, an advanced engineering approach in the 1930s. It is designed to resemble a stone-arch bridge, in keeping with the more rustic appearance typical of many WPA bridges. The original stone railings were replaced in 1987 by the current stucco posts and metal pipe rails.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.912388, -93.269691