Knox Avenue Bridge (Bridge L5728)
History and significance
The Knox Avenue Bridge is a reinforced concrete, cast-in-place slab constructed in 1912. The former Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad bridge features a concrete parapet with Classical Revival details, including recessed panels and circle medallions centered on each span. It currently carries Midtown Avenue over Knox Avenue South. The Knox Avenue Bridge is significant as a contributing resource to the determined-eligible Grand Rounds Historic District.
In 2009 Hennepin County Housing, Community Works, and Transit rehabilitated Bridge L5728, with funding from the Federal Highway Administration. Work included spot repair of deteriorated concrete on the bridge piers, abutments, parapet walls, and underside of the bridge slab. Concrete repairs were made using a pre-colored concrete mixture prepared to match the texture, color, and composition of the original. All graffiti was removed from the bridge and a mitigation plan for future graffiti removal established. The bridge was stained in 2011 to better match the original concrete color.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.95047388, -93.30500857