History and significance
Bridge 93827, constructed in 1929 for the Minneapolis Board of Park Commissioners (Park Board), is a pedestrian bridge that spans Minnehaha Creek near 36th Avenue South. The three-span, open-spandrel, steel deck arch bridge has an overall length of 59 feet with a 34-foot main span. The Park Board’s Engineering Department designed the bridge as part of the improvements for the parkland along the creek between Lake Hiawatha and Hiawatha Avenue, which was purchased in 1922 for park use.
Bridge 93827 is significant as an intact example of the rare steel arch bridge type and for its decorative ornamentation and overall design aesthetic. It is also a contributing resource to the Grand Rounds Historic District, which has been determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.918346, -93.220504