Lake of the Isles Channel Bridge (Bridge 93809)
History & significance
The Lake of the Isles Channel Bridge is a reinforced-concrete, cast-in-place slab constructed in 1911. The former Chicago, Milwaukee & Saint Paul Railroad bridge features a concrete parapet with Classical Revival details, including recessed panels and circle medallions centered on each span. It currently carries Midtown Avenue over Lake of the Isles Channel. The Lake of the Isles Channel Bridge is significant as a contributing resource to the determined-eligible Grand Rounds Historic District.
In 2009 Hennepin County Housing, Community Works, and Transit rehabilitated Bridges 93809, with funding from the Federal Highway Administration. Work included spot repair of deteriorated concrete on the bridge piers, abutments, parapet walls, and underside of the bridge slab. During repair work, an effort was made to match the texture, color, and composition of the original concrete. As part of the rehabilitation, all graffiti was also removed from the bridge and a mitigation plan for future graffiti removal established.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.950547, -93.306197