Old Sartell Bridge (Bridge 05506)
History and significance
The Sartell or Old Sartell Bridge (Bridge 05506) was built in 1914 to carry Sartell Street over the Mississippi River, connecting the east and west areas of the city of Sartell and linking Stearns County and Benton County. The steel, pin-connected, Camelback through-truss bridge has three 140-foot main spans. Following the bridge’s closure in 1984, the deck was replaced with a narrow 8-foot-wide timber pedestrian walkway enclosed in chain-link fence. The bridge is currently gated on each end and not accessible to the public.
Bridge 05506 is significant as the product of an important bridge fabricator, the Minneapolis Steel and Machinery Company, and as a through-truss type built after 1911 that is not a Pratt or Warren.
City of Sartell (Benton County)
Latitude, Longitude: 45.618009, -94.203147