Haul roads and detours
During a construction project, it may be necessary to designate a city or county road as a haul road or detour. Either designation requires a Commissioner's Order. Several laws govern the establishment of haul roads and detours as well as the Minnesota Constitution.
Learn about the regulations
- Minnesota Statute 160.02 Subd. 29 defines trunk highway
- Article 14, Section 2 (MN Constitution) creates the trunk highway system
- Minnesota Statute 161.25 addresses haul roads and detours
- Standard Specifications for Construction
- 1404.3 Contractor's Request for Detour
- 1515 Control of Haul Roads
- 2051 Maintenance and Restoration of Haul Roads
- Right of Way Manual - Section 115.5 Maintenance Orders Policy
Designate a haul road
- Review Right of Way Manual sections 115.6 and 115.7
- Complete a Haul Road Designation form (Word)
- Send form to Commissioner's Order Supervisor once the haul road/detour transaction has been completed and all signatures affixed so that a Commissioner's Order can be prepared.
- Review procedure information in the Haul Road Task Force memo (PDF)
If there is invisible damage to haul road or detour, the Contractor is liable for payment. Refer to Standard Specifications for Construction 2051.3A for haul road payment information.