Request a Lane or Shoulder Closure in the Metro District
The Allowable Lane Closure Manual is used when planning and scheduling lane and/or shoulder closures on MnDOT owned and operated roadways. Please complete the following steps to request a lane or shoulder closure.
Step 1: Lane Closure Manual
Check the Allowable Lane Closure Reports to determine if a lane closure is allowed during the desired day and time. The Allowable Lane Closure Reports determine the appropriate time of day for planned lane closures based on number of available lanes and traffic count data (See Appendix). If a lane closure is not allowed, contact the appropriate Metro District Work Zone Supervisor to discuss.
Step 2: Sensitive Routes
Check the Impact Sensitive Routes Map to determine if the proposed lane closure is within an impact sensitive area. This map is a large data set of previously planned project and detour route locations and schedules. If the work is within an impact sensitive area, contact the appropriate Metro District Work Zone Supervisor to discuss.
- The Metro Impact Sensitive Routes Map is maintained by Metro Traffic. The information is based on input from the Metro Traffic Work Zone unit and State Aid.
Step 3: Lane Closure Form
Complete a Metro District Lane Closure Form.
- The Lane Closure Form is a one page document for listing pertinent information about the purposed/requested lane closure.
- Metro Traffic recently updated the form for relevance.
Step 4: Submit Lane Closure Form
The Lane Closure Form submittal is REQUIRED at least 3 business days prior to to the proposed closure (This is a work in progress since there are existing contracts that only specify 2 days.) A full weekend closure REQUIRES 14 days advance notice.
- Monday closure - Form submitted by previous Wednesday, 9:00 a.m.
- Tuesday closure - Form submitted by previous Thursday, 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday closure - Form submitted by previous Friday, 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday closure - Form submitted by previous Monday, 9:00 a.m.
- Friday closure - Form submitted by previous Tuesday, 9:00a.m.
Submit the completed Metro District Lane Closure Form to MetroLC.DOT@state.mn.us. See the form for more details. For additional help or information, please contact the appropriate Metro District Work Zone Supervisor to discuss.
- The form is received by Metro Maintenance Dispatch who enters it into 511MN.org. At this point Maintenance Dispatch is looking for conflicts or issues.
- Once the data has been entered in MN511.org, Metro Traffic reviews the closures and attempts to mitigate any conflicts that may occur.
- For the most part, closures are allowed/approved/granted/awarded based on a first come, first serve basis.
- Metro staff will be holding a weekly Monday meeting to discuss the upcoming planned closures. This group consists of Central Office and Metro District Construction, State Aid, Public Affairs, RTMC, Maintenance, and Traffic.