Watch Simulation Videos
The following traffic simulations demonstrate how the proposed Reduced Conflict Intersections (RCIs) will work between Byron and Rochester.
- Traffic simulation: Hwy 14, Olmsted County Road 3
- Traffic simulation: Hwy 14, Olmsted County Road 44
The traffic simulations are based on peak travel times and showcase a variety of vehicles including large trucks and farm machinery.
A detailed layout of proposed intersection safety improvements is available for review along with a new FAQ section. The proposed RCIs are a short-term plan to address immediate safety needs. The long-term plan is to develop designs for overpasses/interchanges and obtain funding.
Any comments or questions can be directed to the project management team.
Learn more about RCIs
Reduced Conflict Intersections are intersections that decrease fatalities and injuries caused by right-angle, broadside crashes on four-lane divided highways. In some parts of the country, RCIs are sometimes referred to as J-turns or RCUTs.
About this project
MnDOT, in partnership with Olmsted County, City of Byron, City of Rochester and other local partners have worked together to advance the selection and design of the safety improvements at Olmsted Co. Rd. 3, Olmsted Co. Rd. 44 and 7th St. The partners recommend:
- Installation of a Reduced Conflict Intersection (RCI) at the intersection with Olmsted Co. Rd. 3
- Construction of a modified RCI at Olmsted Co. Rd 44
- Closure of the median at 7th St. NW intersection median. Traffic movements will be restricted to turning right-in or right-out only