2016-2019 and beyond
Use this City Listing to find your MnDOT district. Or, click on a region below for more information.
District 3 — Central Minnesota
Rural intersection conflict warning systems improve safety
MnDOT is installing warning systems at 54 rural intersections statewide this fall to help reduce crashes and improve safety, including three in central Minnesota:
- Hwy 10 at CR 23 in Becker
- Hwy 23 at CR 158 in Cold Spring
- Hwy 210 at CR 59 in Riverton
The systems are used at stop-controlled intersections to alert drivers when vehicles are approaching. The system uses a combination of signing, flashing lights that turn on when traffic is approaching an intersection, and sensors that trigger the lights to flash. News release (Sept. 15, 2015)
The district encompasses much of central Minnesota, has two full service offices - headquarters in Baxter, with a second office in St. Cloud, including a lower level training center.
Hwy 371 Bypass bridge south of Baxter/Brainerd.District 3 has the largest population base outside of the Twin Cities metropolitan area and continues to experience growth.
MnDOT district employees plan, design, construct and maintain the state and federal highway systems. They also manage the aid and assistance given to county and city systems that qualify for state and federal dollars. District 3 provides transit, trail and rail transportation services as well.
If you are interested in public involvement with our transportation projects, please go to District 3’s Area Transportation Partnership page for more information.
District 3 serves all or parts of Aitkin, Benton, Cass, Crow Wing, Isanti, Itasca, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd, Wadena and Wright counties.
Twenty truck stations are strategically located throughout the district and staffed with experienced employees who keep the roadways safe and maintained.
- 1,607 centerline miles (4,001 lane miles) of state, U.S., and interstate highways
367 miles of rail line
110 miles of paved trails
20 public airports
- Eight transit systems
Northstar commuter rail line service
13 Park-and-Ride/Pool lots
Eight public rest areas, including two Travel Information Centers
718 Adopt-A-Highway groups
St. Cloud training/conference center
- MnROAD (Minnesota Road Research Project) on Interstate 94
- Highway 10, 15 St. Cloud/Sauk Rapids, reconstruct pavement, 2014-2015
- I-94 Rogers to St. Michael, reconstruct and improve capacity, 2014-2015
- Highway 24 Clearwater, replace the Mississippi River bridge, 2015-2018
- Highway 25 Monticello, expand four lane segment to CR 106, 2015
- Highway 25 Buffalo, reconstruct and improve capacity, includes Highway 55 intersection, 2016
- Highway 371 Nisswa to Jenkins, expand to four lanes, includes new interchange at CR 11 in Pequot Lakes, 2016-2017
- Highway 371B/South Sixth Street Brainerd, reconstruct roadway includes city underground utilities, 2017
- Highway 10 Elk River, replace Lake Orono/Elk River bridge, 2017
- Highway 210 Brainerd, replace the Mississippi River bridge, 2023
- Highway 27 Little Falls, replace the Mississippi River bridge, 2024
Project dates subject to change
Statewide and District Investment Plans