2014-2017 and beyond
Use this City Listing to find your MnDOT district. Or, click on a region below for more information.
District 3 — Central Minnesota
MnDOT 2014 state road construction program - $1.1 billon effort will construct 308 projects
About District 3
The district encompasses much of central Minnesota, has two full service offices - headquarters in Baxter, with a second office in St. Cloud, including a lower level training center.
Hwy 371 Bypass bridge south of Baxter/Brainerd.District 3 has the largest population base outside of the Twin Cities metropolitan area and continues to experience growth.
MnDOT district employees plan, design, construct and maintain the state and federal highway systems. They also manage the aid and assistance given to county and city systems that qualify for state and federal dollars. District 3 provides transit, trail and rail transportation services as well.
If you are interested in public involvement with our transportation projects, please go to District 3’s Area Transportation Partnership page for more information.
District 3 serves all or parts of Aitkin, Benton, Cass, Crow Wing, Isanti, Itasca, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Sherburne, Stearns, Todd, Wadena and Wright counties.
Twenty truck stations are strategically located throughout the district and staffed with experienced employees who keep the roadways safe and maintained.
1,699 centerline miles (4,366 lane miles) of state, U.S., and interstate highways
367 miles of rail line
110 miles of paved trails
20 public airports
Ten transit systems
One commuter rail line service (Northstar)
13 Park-and-Ride/Pool lots
Eight public rest areas, including two
Travel Information Centers
728 Adopt-A-Highway groups
One training/conference center
- MnROAD (Minnesota Road Research Project) on Interstate 94
A few major projects:
- Highway 10 Rice at Benton CR 2, construct a interchange, 2013-2014
- Interstate 94 Monticello, reconstruct road, 2014
- Interstate 94 St. Michael to Rogers; install capacity improvements, 2014-2015
- Highway 24 Clearwater, replace the Mississippi River bridge, 2015-2016
- Highway 10 Elk River; replace the Lake Orono/Elk River Bridge, 2017
- Highway 27 Little Falls, replace the Mississippi River bridge, 2020
- Highway 371 Nisswa to Jenkins; expand to four lane, 2018-2019
- Highway 210 Brainerd; replace the Mississippi River Bridge, 2020
Project dates subject to change
Statewide and District Investment Plans