The intersection of West 1st Street and Piedmont Avenue is closed through May.
Northbound and Southbound I-35 is single lane from Garfield Avenue to 27th Avenue West. Single lane configuration will be in place through October.
Westbound I-535 to southbound I-35 is closed. Detours are in place. New ramps are scheduled to be open to traffic by fall of 2023.
Southbound Highway 53 to southbound I-35 is closed. Detours are in place. New ramps are scheduled to be open to traffic by fall of 2023.
Northbound I-35 to northbound Highway 53 is closed. Detours are in place. New ramps are scheduled to be open to traffic by fall of 2023.
Work to re-construct the 27th Avenue West Bridge is ongoing. Ramps remain open, but the bridge is closed to cross traffic.
In the coming weeks continue to look for short-term, single-lane closures on northbound and southbound I-35 near the 27th Avenue West Bridge.
Thursday, April 15
- Southbound I-35 will close near 14th Avenue East from 9 p.m. Thursday through 5 a.m. Friday as crews install a temporary overhead sign.
- Temporary lane closures at intersection of Superior Street and Michigan Street for intersection re-channelization.
- The Cross City Trail along Lower Michigan Street will close and be detoured from Spring 2021 to 2024. The city of Duluth is working on detour options.
Late spring, summer and early-fall 2021
- I-35 will be reduced to a single lane in each direction between 27th Avenue West and Garfield Avenue.
- The 27th Avenue West Bridge will reopen after completion. Short term ramp closures will be required for reconstruction of the ramps.
- 19th Avenue West, between Michigan and Lower Michigan will be closed for utility construction.
- Lower Michigan Street will be closed for utility and roadway construction.
Streets to be closed for utility and roadway construction
- 22nd Avenue West, between Michigan Street and 1st Street
- Superior Street and Michigan Street, 100 feet each way of 22nd Avenue West
(not all closed at the same time)
Note: Check back periodically for more detailed information on specific street closures and durations from May 2021 until late fall 2021.
Traffic will remain in this configuration until fall 2022
- Southbound I-35 traffic will be moved to Lower Michigan Street in two lanes between Garfield Avenue and 22nd Avenue West and northbound I-35 will be diverted to the existing southbound lanes of I-35.
- Two lanes of traffic in each direction will be maintained.
Ramps to be closed for demolition
- Ramp from northbound I-35 to southbound I-535
- Ramp from northbound I-535 to northbound Hwy 53
- Ramp from northbound I-535 to northbound I-35
- Ramp from southbound Hwy 53 northbound I-35
- Ramp from southbound Hwy 53 to southbound I-535
- Ramp from southbound I-35 to southbound I-535
- Ramp from southbound I-35 to northbound Hwy 53
- Both northbound and southbound I-35 traffic will be shifted to the new northbound I-35 lanes and two lanes in each direction will be maintained.
- The ramps connecting I-35 to I-535 will re-open.
- Hwy 53 and ramps to/from 21st Avenue West will close.
- All roadways and ramps will open on the final roadway.
- There will be lane closures for finishing work on I-35.