About this project
Once completed, this project will enhance safety by eliminating blind merges and left exits, replace aging infrastructure, and better accommodate freight movements through the interchanges next to the Clure Public Terminal.
Due to higher costs than estimated, Component 2 (Highway 53 bridges) and Component 3 (Garfield Avenue/I-535 interchange) are deferred until funding is secured.
Summary of work
Reconstruct I-35/I-535/Hwy 53 interchange to improve safety by:
- Providing a new conventional design
- Relocating all exits and entrances to the right side of the roadway
- Improving merging sight distance and eliminating merge conflicts
- Eliminating weaving problems near the interchange
- Providing lane continuity for through I-35 traffic
See what the freeway will look like when completed from a motorist’s view heading north on I-35 through the Twin Ports Interchange area, then heading to southbound I-35 from I-535, or the Blatnik Bridge, through the Twin Ports Interchange area.
What’s that mound between the interstate?
We get that question a lot. Some people ask if it’s hay bales. What it is actually is our testing site.
With the Twin Ports Interchange project, MnDOT will remove all low level bridges on I-35 and replace them on an earth fill inside of retaining walls. This is being done because dirt fills are less maintenance and less cost than bridges. What you see is a test "ground improvement" section, and the pipes are instrumentation for monitoring settlement and lateral displacement.
Click on our “Images” tab to view more photos and read more about the process.
- MnDOT to defer portions of Twin Ports Interchange project (Nov. 25, 2019)
- Railroad Street to close from Garfield Avenue to Fifth Avenue West in Duluth (Sept. 30, 2019)
Project update meetings
- Learn more about the public meetings for this project, including the time, date and place of the next meeting.
This project will provide direct access for overweight permitted loads.
Interchange traffic count:
- Average annual daily traffic – 80,000
- Heavy commercial average annual daily traffic – 5,320
Provides first- and last-mile connection to the Clure Public Terminal, an intermodal facility with highway, rail and waterway freight connections