About this project
This project will enhance safety by eliminating blind merges and left exits, replace aging infrastructure, and better accommodate freight movements through the interchanges next to the Clure Public Terminal.
Summary of work
Replace 33 bridges and reconstruct I-35/I-535/Hwy 53 interchange to improve safety by:
- Providing a new conventional design
- Relocating all exits and entrances to the right side of the roadway
- Improving merging sight distance and eliminating merge conflicts
- Eliminating weaving problems near the interchange
- Providing lane continuity for through I-35 traffic
This project will provide direct access for overweight permitted loads.
- Interchange traffic count:
- Average annual daily traffic – 80,000
- Heavy commercial average annual daily traffic – 5,320
- Provides first- and last-mile connection to the Clure Public Terminal, an intermodal facility with highway, rail and waterway freight connections
- Detours during construction
- Ramp detours and lane restrictions on I-35
Potential funding options:
- Infrastructure for Rebuilding America
- MN Highway Freight program, this funding has been secured.
- Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery
- Chapter 3 bonds, this funding has been secured.
- Corridors of Commerce