HydInfra training is set up to fit District needs. Consultant pre-qualification in Work Type 13.0 Hydraulic Structure Inspection, Location and Repair may require that consultants attend HydInfra training. Contact Bonnie Peterson with any questions.
- Pipe materials (PDF)
- GPS basics (PPT)
- Trimble GPS setup (PDF)
- Collect data with GPS instructions (PDF)
- How to transfer files from GPS unit to PC (PDF)
- Create waypoints for GPS with Pathfinder Office software (PDF)
- Use waypoints to collect existing HydInfra features (PDF)
- Use a background shapefile in TerraSync (PDF)
Prepare for a day of HydInfra inspection
- Get report "All HydInfra Features Along a Roadway" for the stretch of highway to be inspected. If no HydInfra features, use data dictionary NewFeat.ddf for initial inventory and inspection. Reports are only available within Mn/DOT. Get highway construction plans to help find drainage features.
- If HydInfra features exist on roadway, use the report "All HydInfra Features Along a Roadway" and get ArcGIS map with HydInfra IDs labeled.
- Check your GPS (TerraSync > Satellite > Plan) or Pathfinder Office (Utilities > Quick Plan) to get Number SVx and PDOP chart to check available satellites throughout the day. Expect one 15 minute period where too few satellites will be available, which will prevent locations from being collected.
Data collection of existing HydInfra features
- Create a new file on your GPS data collector with the ExistFeat.ddf data dictionary, and name it something like EXMN10mp66 (existing feature file, MN highway number, starting milepost number). Do not use spaces.
- Create a new record "Basic Session" (first record of each field file). HydInfra ID is required.
- Create record "ExpipeandInsp" and note the existing pipe and inspection record type allows inputs for pipe material, size and shape to cover changes made to the pipe installation in addition to the inspection fields.
- Create other records as needed (ExStrucInspOnly, ExSpStrucInspOnly, T_Illicit_Discharge, etc).
- Exit the file; return to your office.
- Using Pathfinder Office Data Transfer Utility, transfer the .ssf file to your PC.
- Open the .ssf file and differentially correct the file. Now you have a .cor file.
- Export the .cor file to the hif format.
Upload data to HydInfra
- Upload data - call to get the login and password
Examine the data - HydInfra reports
- Pipe report with condition rating and inspection flags (PDF)
- Criteria for evaluating inspection data (PDF)
- About HydInfra data fields
- Illicit discharge (PPT) - collect an illicit discharge record where disgusting flows are entering Mn/DOT storm drains