Virtual open house
Construction begins in 2022. Join us for a virtual open house to learn about what to expect, including traffic impacts and detours: hwy61intersectionssafetyproject.com.
There will be no formal presentation or discussion during the virtual open house. Visit the link to learn more and go through the online information at your own pace before it closes on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021.
About this project
Summary of work
MnDOT has evaluated Hwy 61 to identify improvements to help with safety and traffic flow through the corridor, specifically at the Hwy 61/County Road 18 intersection in Goodhue County. Through this evaluation MnDOT has made recommendations on:
- Improving intersection safety for all users
- Improving ways to safely get to and from the highway
- Shortening wait times and keeping traffic moving
To address the safety issues created by left turns and crossing traffic at the intersection, MnDOT is proposing to construct an RCI.
Construction is also scheduled in 2022 for the Hwy 61/Hwy 316 roundabout project in Goodhue County.
- Maintains access to and from the highway for all travelers
- Significantly reduces the risk of crashes, especially severe right-angle crashes
- Increases safety for all users
- Makes it easier to turn left through major intersections
The Hwy 61/County Road 18 intersection has a history of left turn crashes due to speed, traffic volumes and poor sightlines. Significant safety issues were identified at this intersection, which include:
- A history of serious right-angle crashes. Right-angle crashes, sometimes called “T-bone” crashes, are often more deadly or serious than other crashes. Traditional four-lane divided highway intersections, such as this one, have an increased risk of severe T-bone crashes, especially for drivers attempting to cross all four lanes of traffic or turn left.
- Difficulty getting on/off Hwy 61 during certain times of the day.