Scoping guidance is being updated to incorporate language consistent with the PMBOK. In the meantime, use existing guidance.
Incorporating best practices from all districts, the scoping process emphasizes early, comprehensive, and well documented scoping of a project and establishes a change process.
The process calls for:
- Conducting scoping before programming the project into the STIP
- Involving stakeholders in the scoping process and clearly identifying project purposes before completing scoping
- Reducing uncertainties by investigating scope elements and making appropriate decisions
- Developing a timeline for the planning-scoping-programming cycle
- Documenting the scope, scope decisions, and scope changes
- Obtaining approval for a project scoping report and amendments
The following documents describe in greater detail the scoping process: