Minnesota Highway Freight Program (2017)
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act created a new funding program that provides money to Minnesota to make improvements to our highway system that benefit freight movement. All public roads, including county and city roads, are eligible for this money. In order to select projects that will be funded with this money, the Minnesota Department of Transportation has created the Minnesota Highway Freight Program. A solicitation for projects is available, with applications due at the end of August 2017. Visit website for application and more information.
Minnesota Highway Freight Program – Intermodal Program (2017)
The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act created a new funding program that provides money to Minnesota to make infrastructure improvements that benefit freight movements at intermodal facilities. In order to select projects that will be funded with this money, the Minnesota Department of Transportation has created the Minnesota Highway Freight Program – Intermodal Program. A solicitation for projects is available, with applications due August 18, 2017. Visit website for application and more information.
Manufacturers' Perspectives on Minnesota's Transportation System (Ongoing)
Since 2013, MnDOT has been interviewing Minnesota businesses to get feedback and better understand their specific freight transportation requirements. The District 1 and Metro District Manufacturers' Perspectives projects are now underway in Minnesota. Visit the website for more information and to see the completed projects.
2015 Statewide Rail Plan Update (Fall 2015)
Now in process for its legislatively mandated five-year update, the Minnesota State Rail Plan will provide an overall vision for effective use of the state’s freight and passenger rail network and its future development. The plan will identify priority rail corridors, programs, and projects that offer effective improvements or expansion for passenger and freight travel in and out of Minnesota.
- A Comprehensisve System for Assessing Truck Parking Availability (PDF) (January 2017)
- Minnesota Statewide Freight System Plan Home Page
- Truck Parking Availability System Study (Spring 2015, final report pending)
- Rail Crossing Safety Improvement Study (December 2014)
- Statewide Ports and Waterways Plan (September 2014)
- Truck GPS Study (February 2014)
- Freight Rail Economic Development (FRED) Study (December 2013)
- Integrating Freight in Statewide Planning (July 2013)
- Southeast Minnesota Freight Rail Capacity Study (July 2013)
- Southeast Minnesota Regional Freight Study (2013)
- Central Minnesota Freight Study (PDF) (December 2012)
- Twin Cities Metro Area Regional Freight Initiative (2012)
- MN&S Freight Rail Study (June 2011)
- Twin Cities Freight Peer Exchange (PDF) (March 2011)
- Minnesota Interstate Truck Parking Study - Phase II (PDF) (November 2010)
- Minnesota Comprehensive Statewide Freight and Passenger Rail Plan (February 2010)
- See more completed projects and studies