Erosion control and stormwater management
Programs and resources
- Erosion control permits and MOUs
- Seed mix and turf establishment
- Certified/approved vendors for seed and salt-tolerant sod
- Erosion control field handbook (PDF)
- Special provisions
- Standard erosion plan sheets
- Tech memos
- Approved erosion control and landscaping products
- Bonded fiber matrix guidance (PDF)
- Concrete washoff of vehicle, equipment, pavement & walls (PDF)
- Stormwater pollution prevention plan requirements (PDF)
- Maintenance for storm water guide (PDF)
- Stormwater and MS4 support
- Concrete washout (PDF)
- MPCA NPDES Permit application form (DOC)
- Inspection form (DOC)
- Erosion research
We provide guidance for NPDES SWPPP documentation, turf establishment, specialty detail support, and special provision support. We also develop standard details, standard plans, and design guidance documents, and provide technical support for making design decisions, plan review, and permit compliance.
We are responsible for a quality control program for certified mulch, sod, and grass seed for MnDOT construction projects. This ensures that approved vendors and suppliers are supplying a quality product for projects reducing the need for constructions staff time collecting samples for testing, approving sources of product, and is conducted by the Minnesota Crop Improvement Association. We provide product substitution guidance, construction guidance documents for bmp implementation, field guidance for permit compliance (MPCA, MNDNR, and USACE), and approved products guidance for specification compliance, as well as technical support to help solve unique environmental construction problems, turf establishment concerns, and soil management issues.
We provide technical support for maintenance using traditional and non-traditional BMPs for the work, and provide field guidance for meeting NPDES MS4 and Construction Storm Water Permit requirements.