Gateway New Ulm Project
Construction, detour underway
See the project for yourself! Work is underway on the Front Street Bridge and can be viewed live from the project web cam.
The Hwy 14/15 New Ulm Gateway project began in the December 2017 with preliminary work and the majority of the work in 2018-19. The project includes work on three bridges, 7th St. street scape, and landscaping. Work in 2018 and 2019 results in detours. This Handout - Summary with detour map will help you plan ahead as well as the following video highlights the project and detour for 2018. And if you have interest in the construction schedule check out the construction staging map.
Specifically, the project includes:
- Two-lane bridge over the Minnesota River with a substructure that can be expanded to four lanes (PDF)
- Two-lane bridge over Front Street designed for four lane expansion adjacent to the structure (PDF)
- An interchange (bridge) at the intersection of Hwy 14 and 15 and Nicollet County Road 21 - Y intersection (PDF)
- Roundabout at the Hwy 14 and Front Street intersection (PDF)
- Reconstruction of Hwy 14 (7th Street) between Broadway and Front Street (PDF) including city watermain and sanitary sewer replacement
- Raising Hwy 14 and 15 to be above the 100-yr flood elevation
- A trail on the north side of the Highway from German Street to the interchange
- Removal of the existing truck station outside of town and construction of a new truck station in Courtland
- Detour for 2018 (PDF) Gateway New Ulm construction
- Detour for 2019 (PDF) Gateway New Ulm construction
New Ulm to Nicollet designs
A Highway 14 New Ulm to Nicollet Task Force is charged with providing recommendations to MnDOT that make the best use of potential transportation funding. The expansion of Highway 14 from New Ulm to Nicollet is currently unfunded, however, MnDOT is advancing the design and environmental processes to be prepared for potential funding from programs such as the Minnesota legislature’s Corridors of Commerce.
MnDOT and the task force have hosted open houses in Courtland to get public input into the designs of a four-lane Highway 14 between New Ulm and Nicollet.
- Materials from the February 1 open house
- Interactive map (closed February 15)
- Materials from February 22 open house follow and include draft maps and a preliminary recommendation from the task force:
- Segment A Map - Hwy 15 to County Road 37
- Segment B Map - County Road 37 to west Courtland
- Segment C Map - west Courtland to east Courtland
- Segment D Map - east Courtland to Nicollet
- Nicollet County Road 37 (20th St.) – Roundabout, RCUT (J-turn), Partial Interchange, Full Interchange
- Hwy 15 to County Road 37
- 571st Lane (New Ulm Quartzite Quarries) – Traditional w/ acceleration lane, RCUT (J-turn)
- 561st Lane (Minnesota Valley Lutheran High School) – RCUT (J-turn)
- 571st Lane to 561st Lane
- Courtland Access (CR 12, CR 24, and old Hwy 14) – RCUTs (J-turn), Interchange on the west end or centered on town
- Intersection turning movement data
- Intersection types under consideration