About this project
Dodge County Road 3 south of Claremont will re-open Sept. 20, while Dodge County Road 5 will be detoured and 140th Ave. will close on Sept. 21 as part of the Hwy 14 expansion project west of Dodge Center.
The opening and closures are part of the Hwy 14 expansion project between Dodge Center and Owatonna. Motorists will be able to use County Road 3 south of Claremont to cross the new Hwy 14 route but will not be able to access the new Hwy 14 route, because the road is not open.
The new closures are permanent roadway closures at the railroad crossings. County Road 5 will have a new route that will line up with the new Hwy 14 interchange that will open once traffic is on the new route of Hwy 14. Crews are currently paving and completing other elements of the project, such as bridges and grading.
- Northbound County Road 5 traffic wanting to reach Hwy 14 can travel south on County Road 5 to eastbound Dodge County Road 10 to northbound Hwy 56, which intersects with Hwy 14 at Dodge Center.
- Northbound 140th Ave. traffic wanting to reach Hwy 14 can travel west on 630th St. to County Road 3 northbound to Hwy 14 at Claremont.
Current detours, traffic changes
- Trucks and buses on Hwy 14 that are required to stop for at-grade railroad crossings should follow detour signs to avoid the rail cross near Steele County Road 180, because no pullover lane is available. Trucks will utilize County Road 180 and Steele County Road 43 in each direction
- The detour will be in place until the new Hwy 14 route opens for traffic in fall of 2021
- Motorists who use Dodge County Road H between Dodge County Road 5 and Dodge Center must seek alternate routes because the road is closed.
- The closure of the County Road H near the underpass of existing Hwy 14 will be permanent on the west side of the underpass and the road will be changed into a cul-de-sac. On the east side of the underpass, the road closure will be a year-long and eventually redirect the road to connect with the old portion of Hwy 14 once the new route is completed.
2021 planned work
- More paving will be completed along the remaining 12.5-mile new route.
- Completion of the Dodge Co. Rd. 3 and Steele Co. Rd. 16 bridges.
- Construction and completion of the Hwy 14 interchange at Hwy 56 and Dodge Co. Rd. 5.
- Traffic is expected to be on the new Hwy 14 alignment in fall of 2021 with the project completed in 2022.
Summary of work
The project will expand 12.5 miles of Hwy 14 from two lanes to four lanes between Dodge Center and Owatonna to complete a continuous four-lane road between Mankato and Rochester. The project is intended to improve the capacity, safety, travel times and access between Rochester and Owatonna, as well as the I-35 corridor. The expansion area is a new route for Hwy 14, which will stay south of the railroad tracks on the west side of the project, travel south of Claremont and connect where the four-lane highway is west of Dodge Center.
Shafer Contracting of Shafer, Minn., is the prime contractor for the $107,997,119 construction project. Construction is scheduled to be completed by 2022. Traffic on the new Hwy 14 route is expected in 2021.