Gateway New Ulm Project
Construction, detour underway
See the project for yourself! Work is underway and can be viewed live from the project web cam.
A short segment of Hwy 14/15 (7th Street) from Broadway to Front Street opens Oct. 26. Highway detour remains in place over winter of 2018/19. New detour expected in spring 2019 consisting of Nicollet County Roads 5 (Fort Road), 12 and 21 until completion in Fall 2019.
The Hwy 14/15 New Ulm Gateway project began in the December 2017 with preliminary work and the majority of the work in 2018-19. The project includes work on three bridges, 7th St. street scape, and landscaping. Work in 2018 and 2019 results in detours. The following video highlights the project and detour for 2018. And if you have interest in the construction schedule check out the construction staging map.
Specifically, the project includes:
- Two-lane bridge over the Minnesota River with a substructure that can be expanded to four lanes (PDF)
- Two-lane bridge over Front Street designed for four lane expansion adjacent to the structure (PDF)
- An interchange (bridge) at the intersection of Hwy 14 and 15 and Nicollet County Road 21 - Y intersection (PDF)
- Roundabout at the Hwy 14 and Front Street intersection (PDF)
- Reconstruction of Hwy 14 (7th Street) between Broadway and Front Street (PDF) including city watermain and sanitary sewer replacement
- Raising Hwy 14 and 15 to be above the 100-yr flood elevation
- A trail on the north side of the Highway from German Street to the interchange
- Removal of the existing truck station outside of town and construction of a new truck station in Courtland
Detours for New Ulm Gateway
- Detour for 2018 (PDF) NOTE - THIS DETOUR REMAINS IN PLACE UNTIL SPRING 2019
- Detour for 2019 (PDF) NOTE - THIS DETOUR WAS MODIFIED TO INCLUDE NICOLLET CR 21 DUE TO FLOODING ON NICOLLET CR 12 NORTH OF HIGHWAY 14.
New Ulm to Nicollet designs
A Highway 14 New Ulm to Nicollet Task Force officially provided recommendations to MnDOT on June 19, 2018 that include:
- Interchange at CSAH 37/Hwy 14 – New Ulm south access
- RCUTs (J-turns) at MVL High School, New Ulm Quartzite Quarries, and Jeremy Dr (ShadyBrooks subdivision) and a narrower section through this area to limit impacts
- Interchange at an extension of CSAH 24/Hwy 14 north of Courtland – centered on town
Next steps include:
- Request resolutions of support from cities and county
- Continue to develop layout
- Gather survey info this summer for hydraulic designs & ponding
- Gather additional info on existing environmental impacts
- Meet with public
MnDOT's goal is to advance the project over the next year with design and environmental work so that if funding became available the project would be ready for right of way, final design and construction.
While the expansion of Highway 14 from New Ulm to Nicollet is currently unfunded, the recent selection of the Highway 14 Owatonna to Dodge Center for Corridors of Commerce funding moves this project farther up the list for future funding.
MnDOT and the task force have hosted open houses in Courtland to get public input into the designs of a four-lane Highway 14 between New Ulm and Nicollet.
- Materials from the February 1 open house
- Interactive map (closed February 15)
- Materials from February 22 open house follow and include draft maps and a preliminary recommendation from the task force:
- Segment A Map - Hwy 15 to County Road 37
- Segment B Map - County Road 37 to west Courtland
- Segment C Map - west Courtland to east Courtland
- Segment D Map - east Courtland to Nicollet
- Nicollet County Road 37 (20th St.) – Roundabout, RCUT (J-turn), Partial Interchange, Full Interchange
- Hwy 15 to County Road 37
- 571st Lane (New Ulm Quartzite Quarries) – Traditional w/ acceleration lane, RCUT (J-turn)
- 561st Lane (Minnesota Valley Lutheran High School) – RCUT (J-turn)
- 571st Lane to 561st Lane
- Courtland Access (CR 12, CR 24, and old Hwy 14) – RCUTs (J-turn), Interchange on the west end or centered on town
- Intersection turning movement data
- Intersection types under consideration