Print or download the listed course materials, and bring them to class.
Bridge Construction Inspector Certification (BCIC)
Prerequisites for certification
- Aggregate Production Tester
- Concrete Field Tester
- Concrete Field Inspector
- Grading and Base Tester
MnDOT eLearning courses
AASHTO/TC3 Construction Inspection of Structures Series E-Learning courses
- Subsurface (TC3CN053-17-T1)
- Substructures (TC3CN054-17-T1)
- Superstructures (TC3CN055-17-T1)
- Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Structures (TC3MN032-17-T1)
- Reinforcing Steel for Structures (TC3MS064-21-T1)
- Additional strongly recommended, but not required AASHTO/TC3 courses:
Expiration and recertification options
- This certification expires after five seasons.
- A recertification must be completed before the end of the fifth season.
- Once a certification is expired, you must complete the full certification course again to be certified.
- Learning mode: In person
- If you need to register: Learn about the certification process and then register for the class.
- Logistics: See the Registration Confirmation and Class Reminder emails from Lake Superior College for class dates, time, location, and directions. Time will be provided for on- or off-site lunch. No meals or beverages will be provided.
- Learning differences and accommodations: If you have a disability or learning issue, either permanent or temporary, which might affect your ability to perform in a class, the online exam, or the performance exam, contact Suzanne Johnsrud, 218-428-1002, to discuss possible accommodations.
What to bring to class
Print and bring to class
Print or bring to class on a tablet/laptop
- Bridge Construction Inspector Certification Training Manual (PDF)
- 2023 Bridge #27138 Proposal for BCIC (PDF)
- Excerpt of the 2021 Schedule of Materials Control – for BCIC (PDF)
Print on large paper (11x17) or bring on tablet/laptop
- 2023 Bridge #27138 Full Plan (PDF)
- Chapter 3 Excavation and Embankment Handout (PDF)
- Chapter 9A Bridge #69129 Steel Bridge Plan (PDF)
- Chapter 18 Handout Package Special Structures (PDF)
- Chapter 25 OES Environmental Awareness (PDF)
Fillable forms to bring on tablet/laptop
- Chapter 5 Inspector Chart for Piling mpf12 (Excel)
- Chapter 5 Pile timing inspector chart mpf12 (Excel)
For electronic use only – not optimized for printing
Reference books/manuals to bring (electronic or hard copy)
- MnDOT 2020 Standard Specifications
- MnDOT 2022 Supplemental Specifications
- MnDOT Bridge Construction Manual
Also bring to class
- Paper and pencil/pen
- Laptop/tablet (recommended)
- Face mask (for health and safety, if needed)
- Lunch, snacks, and beverages
About the certification exams
Written exam process
- The written exam is in two parts, one given each week and open to you at noon on the two Friday class days.
- You must complete the exam within one week after it is open for you, meaning the same day the following week.
- For each exam, you will have 120 minutes to complete the 75 questions online.
- You must score 70% or higher on both exams to pass. If you score 60-69% on either, you may request a retest.
- Your final score will be the average of the two scores.
- Find your exam to take them when they are open for you.
Written exam topics (approximate percentage of exam)
Materials allowed during the written exam
This is an open book exam. You may use the training manual and all other course materials during the exam. A calculator is provided within the online exam.