MnDOT Policy #WF002
Revised: September 11, 2021
Please go to the MnDOT Org Chart to find specific contact information: Org Chart.
Responsible Senior Officer: Deputy Commissioner/Chief Administrative Officer
Policy Owner: Director, Office of Human Resources
Policy Contact: Labor Relations Manager, Office of Human Resources
The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) fully adopts the statewide policy, Sick Leave, HR/LR #1337, issued by Minnesota Management and Budget and incorporated herein by reference. MMB ensures that the statewide policy is accurate, updated, and that relevant interpretations of the law are considered.
For qualifying leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act, see MnDOT Policy #WF004 – Family and Medical Leave Policy.
The objective of the statewide policy is to improve productivity, minimize cost, and maintain overall agency morale by standardizing review of employees’ use of accrued sick leave. The statewide policy requires agencies to track and monitor employees’ use of accrued sick leave as permitted by law to ensure that use of accrued sick leave is appropriate.
All MnDOT employees must comply with MnDOT policies.
- Complete Supervisory CORE training during probationary period, including a Managing Leaves training course.
- Regularly review employee attendance records for evidence of abuse or excessive use of accrued sick leave.
- Ensure that the reason for employees’ use of accrued sick leave is allowable under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, plan, or applicable law.
- Maintain confidentiality of the employees’ reason for the use of sick leave.
- Recognize good attendance through appropriate methods.
- Regularly monitor and manage all of the accrued sick leave use by employees in accordance with this policy and the statewide Sick Leave policy.
Policy Owner (Director, Office of Human Resources)
- Distribute the statewide policy (HR/LR #1337) to all MnDOT employees.
- Review this policy every two years, or whenever MMB makes changes to its statewide policy, to ensure the policy remains up-to-date.
- Ensure documents and training associated with the policy remain current.
- Work with the Policy Coordinator to revise the policy and/or confirm its accuracy.
- Communicate policy revisions, reviews, and retirements to stakeholders.
- Sick Leave, HR/LR #1337
- Business Data Catalog (BDC) – accessible from employee Intranet
- MnDOT’s Policy Website
August 8, 2012
- Policy 3.90.1, Administration No. 90-1, Sick Leave, Statewide Policy
- Effective June 7, 1990
- First Revision: June 16, 2015
- Second Revision: September 11, 2021 (also renumbered as #WF002 from #HR002)
This policy's next scheduled review is due September 2023.