July 11, 2023
MnDOT has received funding through the Minnesota Legislature's Corridors of Commerce program to build an interchange at the intersection of Highway 23 and Highway 9 in New London.
- MnDOT District 8 was awarded $33 million from the Corridors of Commerce program which will make it possible to build an interchange at the Hwy 23 and Hwy 9 intersection in New London.
- Following an extensive community input process which concluded in December 2022, Kandiyohi County solicited for interchange funding through the Legislature's Corridors of Commerce program which was announced in July 2023.
- MnDOT will move forward with plans to build the interchange, work with Kandiyohi County to realign County Road 40, and will continue to work with the community as more information becomes available including timelines and intersection design.
Thank you to the community
- MnDOT would like to thank the community, Advisory Group members, city of New London and Kandiyohi County for participating in the community input process for the Hwy 23 safety improvement project.
- Kandiyohi County's solicitation to request funding for an interchange through the Legislature's Corridors of Commerce program made it possible to proceed with the project.
- Everyone's participation and feedback helped to secure the special funding required to build an interchange.
- The Advisory Group was integral in helping analyze potential safety improvements, consider public feedback, and give input to MnDOT.
Short-term intersection improvements
- MnDOT installed LED intersection warning signs at the intersection of Hwy 23 and Hwy 9 as a short-term improvement. See an image of the signs and locations (PDF).
- An offset right-turn lane, from westbound Hwy 23 to westbound Hwy 9 is being constructed during the summer of 2023, along with additional signing for eastbound traffic.