About this project
A public meeting is scheduled for 6-7:30 p.m., Thursday, June 24 at the Zumbrota VFW.
Construction starts July 5, 2021. This project will reconstruct the southbound Hwy 52 lanes beginning 2.2 miles south of Hwy 19 in Cannon Falls and proceeding south to 1.2 miles north of Goodhue County Road 7 with access control improvements.
The bridges at the junctions of Hwy 60 (west) and Hwy 60 (east) near Zumbrota will be replaced. As well as the replacement of the Hwy 52 southbound bridge and rehabilitating the Hwy 52 northbound bridge over the Zumbro River.
A new interchange will be constructed to replace the existing at-grade intersection at Hwy 52 and Hwy 57 / Goodhue County Road 8 (Hader Interchange).
Additional safety and access management measures will be implemented on the corridor including new frontage roads, reduced conflict intersections (RCIs) and construction of a new Goodhue County Road 14 connection on the north end of the project near Cannon Falls.
- Construct various Hwy 52 median crossover lanes to direct traffic off or onto the northbound or southbound lanes during future construction work.
- Construct Hwy 60 West overpass bridge replacement at Zumbrota
- Replace northbound Hwy 52 bridge at Hwy 60 East interchange south of Zumbrota
- Reconstruct of Hwy 52 southbound from (4,000 feet north) Goodhue County Road 9 to Goodhue County Road 50
- Interchange construction at Hwy 57 / County Road 8 at Hwy 52
- Replace southbound Hwy 52 bridge at Hwy 60 east interchange
- Construct County Road 14 connection, frontage roads, and cul de sacs
- Replace southbound Hwy 52 bridge over Zumbro River
- Rehabilitate northbound Hwy 52 bridge over Zumbro River
- Reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound from County Road 23 in Cannon Falls to (4,000 feet) north of County Road 9
- Reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound from County Road 50 to 1.3 miles north of County Road 7
- Construct frontage roads and cul de sacs
- Construct noisewall along NB Hwy 52 south of Hwy 58 interchange at Zumbrota
- Road closure and detours required
- Impacts to North Fork Zumbro River State Water Trail
- Impacts to resident, field, and business access
- Bridge removal
- Vibration, noise and night work
- Utility work
Apparent best value bidder selected for Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls Design-Build Project
Mathiowetz Construction Co. is the apparent best value bidder for the Design-Build contract to reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound, build an interchange at Hwy 52 and Hwy 57/Goodhue County Road 8 and make other safety improvements.
Bids from prime contractors on a short list were opened on Wednesday, Feb. 24 in St. Paul with four teams submitting sealed bids. The bids will be reviewed and certified before the contract is awarded in spring 2021.
Construction could begin later this summer on portions of the project. The first full construction season will begin in spring of 2022 and be completed by 2023.
- Mathiowetz Construction Company, $69,698,166.66
- Ames Construction, Inc., $73,973,000
- Michels Corporation, $77,472,333.95
- Shafer Contracting Co., $77,958,339.57
To see the results, go to MnDOT’s Design-Build project website and click on letting.
Other developments have occurred fall of 2020, including:
Park and ride
Recently the Goodhue County Board discussed and voted to move ahead with the Goodhue County plan for a park and ride in Hader that will be part of the project. They also discussed the planned realignment of Goodhue County Road 14.
Goodhue County Road 7
Due to rising costs and fiscal constraints, the Minnesota Department of Transportation is removing the planned work at Goodhue County Road 7/Sherwood Trail and in the vicinity from the Highway 52 Southbound Improvement Project. Under the project, the County 7/Sherwood Trail intersection will be left “as is".
Additionally, MnDOT will remove planned median work and acceleration lanes at this intersection, along with “J-turns” and the repaving of northbound Highway 52. The nearby 165th Ave. intersection will remain as it is currently aligned.
This will not change the planned construction timelines to begin later in 2021, including specific plans for reconstruction of the southbound lanes and construction of an interchange at Hwy 57/County 8. MnDOT anticipates discussions with Goodhue County on possible future work at Goodhue County 7, also known as Welch Village Road.