About this project
New lane changes
Hwy 52 motorists will encounter a new northbound right lane closure beginning Aug. 31 south of Zumbrota and lane changes for all traffic on Sept. 7 south of Cannon Falls.
The northbound right lane will close between the exits of Hwy 60 east and Hwy 58 at Zumbrota, but motorists will still be able to exit at Zumbrota. The work zone provides safety for workers and motorists while crews build a noise wall on the east side of the highway.
The lane changes south of Cannon Falls will switch the single-lane traffic in each direction from the northbound lanes to the southbound lanes just south of Goodhue Co. Rd 24. Hwy 52 traffic will remain a single lane in each direction on the southbound lanes beginning at Goodhue Co. Rd 24 in Cannon Falls extending to Skunk Hollow Trail. Crews are replacing large box culverts underneath the northbound lanes to connect to the culverts already installed under the southbound lanes at Butler Creek. They will also be completing a J-turn.
Signs will give advance notice of lane changes and closures.
These lane closures and shifts are expected to stay in place until late October.
Motorists are also reminded that:
- Direct access from 420th to Hwy 52 will close on Sept. 11.
- Goodhue Co. Rd 1 and 50 direct access to Hwy 52 has closed and motorists should take the new routes to the Hwy.
No left turns in work zone allowed
Left turns on Hwy 52 in the work zone between Zumbrota and Cannon Falls are not allowed. State troopers will be patrolling the work zone to monitor motorist speeds and ensure that unsafe turns are not being made. The left-turn restriction during construction is to reduce abrupt speed changes that contribute to crashes.
Motorists who want to make left turns typically will need to travel to the next exit where they can cross over and return in the opposite direction to make a right turn or exit the road on the right to reach locations no longer accessed from Hwy 52.
More details about this and the most recent traffic changes and construction information can be found on the Updates page.
2023 planned work
Construction resumed April 10, 2023 with lane closures and some access closures along the highway. Motorists can expect traffic delays through the construction zone during mornings, evenings and weekends.
There are two separate work zones where traffic will be in a single lane of traffic in each direction on the northbound lanes.
- The northern work zone begins at Goodhue Co. Rd. 24 in Cannon Falls and extend to approximately Goodhue Co. Rd. 9.
- The southern work zone begins at 415th St. (just north of Goodhue Co. Rd. 50) and extend to Goodhue Co. Rd. 68 (445th St.) in Zumbrota.
Summary of work
MnDOT’s construction project along Hwy 52 between Zumbrota and Cannon Falls began in July of 2021. In November of 2022, the new interchange at the intersection of Hwy 52 and Hwy 57 was opened to traffic. 2023 is the third and final year of the project’s major construction activities.
2023 work includes the following:
- The Hwy 52 southbound lanes from Goodhue Co. Rd. 24 in Cannon Falls to (4,000 feet) north of Goodhue Co. Rd. 9 will be reconstructed.
- Hwy 52 southbound lanes from 415th St. (just north of Goodhue Co. Rd. 50) to 1.3 miles north of Goodhue Co. Rd. 7 will be reconstructed.
- The Hwy 52 southbound bridge over the Zumbro River will be replaced.
- Frontage road and cul-de-sacs will be completed and opened to traffic.
- A noise wall will be constructed along northbound Hwy 52 south of the Hwy 58 interchange in Zumbrota.
The construction schedule is on the Schedule page.
In addition to the permanent access closures occurring with the project, there will also be temporary impacts to the access of Goodhue Co. Rd. 7 during the 2023 construction.
More construction projects are scheduled on the Hwy 52 corridor between Rochester and St. Paul with construction in 2023 and future years.