The Minnesota Department of Transportation is partnering with Grant County to complete a project on Highway 55/59 from Elbow Lake to Barrett.
*In the spring of 2020, MnDOT conducted an online survey to help inform the design of the project (see results below). Majority of respondents were concerned about construction not taking place until 2023, as the existing pavement condition is poor. MnDOT heard these concerns and has made adjustments to our program so we can construct the Hwy 55/59 project in 2022.
- Robust resurfacing (reclaim)
- Shoulder-widening, with 8 additional feet (4-foot paved, 4-foot gravel) on each side of the highway
- Culvert replacements
- Turn lanes at County Road 8 and County Road 21
- Potential installation of snow fence
- Access improvements
- Pedestrian ramp installation in the city of Barrett
Current/upcoming traffic impacts
Watch for crews: MnDOT maintenance crews to start tree/brush clearing by Jan. 27, 2021. Watch for slow-moving equipment and crews along the roadside. All work will take place within the state highway right of way.