- Michigan Street remains closed between 20th Ave. West and 23rd Ave West.
- Traffic to and from Port Terminal Drive, is being detoured onto Helberg Drive.
- 20th Ave. West between West 3rd Street and 19th Ave. West remains closed.
- All ramps to Hwy 53 and I-535 are closed.
The Cross City Trail along Lower Michigan Street is closed and detoured from Spring 2021 to 2024. The city of Duluth has a detour in place.
2023 fall update
The Garfield Avenue/Interstate 535 interchange portion of the Twin Ports Interchange project will not be completed this fall as planned due to findings of historical significance in the project area. The interchange will stay in its current configuration throughout the winter. We are working closely with project partners and will provide an updated schedule for the project as soon as it becomes available.
MnDOT was able to accelerate work on the I-35 corridor this fall, including shoulder grading, paving, wall painting and pouring of a barrier wall, that was scheduled to be completed in spring 2024. While the majority of work affecting traffic on I-35 will be completed in fall 2023, the traveling public should anticipate some minor lane closures next spring.
Late fall 2023
- I-35 will open to traffic on new configuration
- Ramps connecting I-535 to/from I-35, and ramps connecting to/from Hwy 53 will remain closed
- There will be lane closures for finishing work on I-35
- Lower Michigan Street will be opened
Late fall 2024
- Hwy 53/Piedmont Avenue will be completed down to 21st Avenue West
To be determined
- Ramps connecting to/from Hwy 53
- Garfield Avenue/I-535 interchange, including ramps to/from I-535