Lower Michigan Street is closed from near 15th Avenue West to 23rd Avenue West. Beginning in October, Lower Michigan Street will carry southbound I-35 traffic through the fall of 2022.
Northbound and Southbound I-35 is single lane from Garfield Avenue to 27th Avenue West. Single lane configuration will be in place through October.
Westbound I-535 to southbound I-35 is closed. Detours are in place. New ramps are scheduled to be open to traffic by fall of 2023.
Southbound Highway 53 to southbound I-35 is closed. Detours are in place. New ramps are scheduled to be open to traffic by fall of 2023.
Northbound I-35 to northbound Highway 53 is closed. Detours are in place. New ramps are scheduled to be open to traffic by fall of 2023.
Work to re-construct the 27th Avenue West Bridge is ongoing. Ramps remain open, but the bridge is closed to cross traffic.
In the coming weeks continue to look for short-term, single-lane closures on northbound and southbound I-35 near the 27th Avenue West Bridge.
- The Cross City Trail along Lower Michigan Street will close and be detoured from Spring 2021 to 2024. The city of Duluth is working on detour options.
Summer and early-fall 2021
- The 27th Avenue West Bridge will reopen after completion. Short term ramp closures will be required for reconstruction of the ramps.
- 19th Avenue West, between Michigan and Lower Michigan will be closed for utility construction.
- Lower Michigan Street will be closed for utility and roadway construction.
Streets to be closed for utility and roadway construction
- 22nd Avenue West, between Michigan Street and 1st Street
- Superior Street and Michigan Street, 100 feet each way of 22nd Avenue West
(not all closed at the same time)
Note: Check back periodically for more detailed information on specific street closures and durations from May 2021 until late fall 2021.
Traffic will remain in this configuration until fall 2022
- Southbound I-35 traffic will be moved to Lower Michigan Street in two lanes between Garfield Avenue and 22nd Avenue West and northbound I-35 will be diverted to the existing southbound lanes of I-35.
- Two lanes of traffic in each direction will be maintained.
Ramps to be closed for demolition
- Ramp from northbound I-35 to southbound I-535
- Ramp from northbound I-535 to northbound Hwy 53
- Ramp from northbound I-535 to northbound I-35
- Ramp from southbound Hwy 53 northbound I-35
- Ramp from southbound Hwy 53 to southbound I-535
- Ramp from southbound I-35 to southbound I-535
- Ramp from southbound I-35 to northbound Hwy 53
- Both northbound and southbound I-35 traffic will be shifted to the new northbound I-35 lanes and two lanes in each direction will be maintained.
- The ramps connecting I-35 to I-535 will re-open.
- Hwy 53 and ramps to/from 21st Avenue West will close.
- All roadways and ramps will open on the final roadway.
- There will be lane closures for finishing work on I-35.