Design and engineering
Bicycle accommodations in roadway projects are supported by federal legislation, Minnesota state statutes, and MnDOT policy and practice.
- Minnesota's Best Practices for Pedestrian/Bicycle Safety (PDF)
- Best Practices Synthesis and Guidance in At-Grade Trail-Crossing Treatments (PDF)
- Road Design Manual
- Minnesota Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Complete Streets in Minnesota
- Bicycle Facility Design Manual (PDF)
MnDOT’s Bicycle Facility Design Manual is a resource for MnDOT planners and designers to plan for and implement context-appropriate bicycle facilities within MnDOT right-of-way. The 2020 Minnesota Bicycle Facility Design Manual supersedes the 2007 Minnesota Bikeway Facility Design Manual. This manual provides the information necessary to develop safe, consistent, and predictable bicycle facilities along MnDOT’s trunk highway system. Providing connected networks of comfortable and safe bicycle facilities is an important factor to support and increase the use of bicycling for transportation.
- American with Disabilities Act - Best Practices Tool Kit for State and Local Governments
- National Association of City Transportation Officials design guides