Construction work zone safety tips
Slow down and drive with caution
Drivers traveling too fast and not paying attention are the main causes of work zone crashes. Follow these safe driving tips:
- Obey posted speed limits. The fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Drive undistracted. Cell phones, mobile devices, adjusting the radio – even eating – should be avoided in work zones.
- Stay alert, especially at night.
- Be patient. Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Expect work zones to constantly change. Day to day you could experience lane shifts, closures or moving workers and vehicles.
- Don’t make unnecessary lane changes.
- Do the zipper merge.
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
Things you might encounter on the road
- 2021 construction projects and interactive map
- Real-time travel information and webcams
- Work zone safety PSAs and videos
- Toward Zero Deaths