Stay safe in work zones
- Work zones are wherever you see workers, flaggers and surveyors in bright yellow-green or orange vests.
- Work zones are also marked with orange cones or barrels, concrete barriers, traffic control devices or moving vehicles with flashers.
- Work zones operate day and night, anywhere you travel.
Drivers speeding and not paying attention are the main causes of work zone crashes.
- Stay alert, especially at night.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fines may double for violations in work zones.
- Expect work zones to constantly change. Day to day, you could experience lane shifts, closures or moving workers and vehicles.
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
- Don’t make unnecessary lane changes.
- Stay off cell phones and mobile devices.
- Be patient. Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.