As a part of our STEM program, MnDOT has various opportunities to connect with students and educators alike. Whether attending fairs and expos or visiting schools, there are many chances to connect students with MnDOT employees to help spread the word about the STEM career world. Activities along with the Bridge UP! curriculum are a great opportunity to engage students and the community.
Visits to classrooms are a great way to introduce engineers and other STEM careers with students of any age. Educators have an opportunity to request a MnDOT employee to come to their class and present on whatever subject is desired. Presentations are great for sharing information about nearby MnDOT projects or general content about engineering, construction and more.
“I wanted to take a moment to say just how impressed I was with all the amazing activities that your wonderful engineers at MnDOT led our students through yesterday at two of our schools, Little Canada and ED Williams. The impact that your team had on our students was immediate (direct quote: 'My favorite part was building the bridge.') as well as long term (direct quote: 'I think I want to be an engineer.'). In my discussions with teachers, they were equally as impressed.” - Miles Lawson, Roseville Area Schools curriculum coordinator
Upcoming classroom visits
- Crosby Ironton Schools Career Presentation - May 9, 2019
- Sunset Hills Elementary in Wayzata Bridge-in-a-Bag - May 24, 2019
- Royal Oaks Elementary in Woodbury Explorers' Day - May 31, 2019
Recent classroom visits
- Life Academy in Bloomington Bridge-in-a-Bag - Apr. 10, 2019
- Tri-City United High School in Montgomery Bridge-in-a-Bag - Apr. 12, 2019
- Rochester Alternative Learning Center Bridge-in-a-Bag - Apr. 19, 2019
Science fairs, conferences and expos
MnDOT visits various events to share our knowledge and resources with students, educators and partners around Minnesota. Check out our upcoming events for locations near you.
- MnDOT Construction Career Day at MN State Fairgrounds - May 15, 2019
- Lake Superior Youth Symposium in Duluth - May 18, 2019
- STEMLink by Success Beyond the Classroom at Normandale Community College in Bloomington - May 22-23, 2019
- Civil Engineering Day at the Science Museum of Minnesota in St. Paul - Mar. 30, 2019
- I-35W Minnesota River Bridge Project Open House at Oak Grove Middle School in Bloomington - Apr. 15, 2019
- Life Academy Science Fair in Bloomington - Apr. 26, 2019
If you’re interested in having MnDOT STEM at your event, contact Marcia Lochner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-366-3097.