As a part of our STEM program, MnDOT has various opportunities to connect with students and educators alike. Whether attending fairs and expos or visiting schools, there are many chances to connect students with MnDOT employees to help spread the word about the STEM career world. Activities along with the Bridge UP! curriculum are a great opportunity to engage students and the community.
Visits to classrooms are a great way to introduce engineers and other STEM careers with students of any age. Educators have an opportunity to request a MnDOT employee to come to their class and present on whatever subject is desired. Presentations are great for sharing information about nearby MnDOT projects or general content about engineering, construction and more.
“I wanted to take a moment to say just how impressed I was with all the amazing activities that your wonderful engineers at MnDOT led our students through yesterday at two of our schools, Little Canada and ED Williams. The impact that your team had on our students was immediate (direct quote: 'My favorite part was building the bridge.') as well as long term (direct quote: 'I think I want to be an engineer.'). In my discussions with teachers, they were equally as impressed.” - Miles Lawson, Roseville Area Schools curriculum coordinator
Upcoming classroom visits
- Bridge-in-a-Bag - Nov. 26, 2018 at Delano Elementary School
- Bridge-in-a-Bag - Nov. 29, 2018 at Transfiguration Catholic School in Oakdale
- Bridge-in-a-Bag - Dec. 10, 2018 at Linwood Monroe Arts Plus in St. Paul
Recent classroom visits
- Lake Nokomis Community School - Nov. 14, 2018
- Lakeville North High School - Nov. 1, 2018
- Justice Page Middle School in Minneapolis - Oct. 24, 2018
- St. Joseph Catholic STEM School in Waconia - Sept. 24, 2018
Science fairs, conferences and expos
MnDOT visits various events to share our knowledge and resources with students, educators and partners around Minnesota. Check out our upcoming events for locations near you.
- Science Rocks! - Jan. 4, 2019, St. Cloud State University
- Da Vinci Fest - Jan. 5, 2019 at Stillwater Area Public Schools
- Creativity Festival - Jan. 8-9, 2019 at Tedd Mann Concert Hall, University of Minnesota
- Science Fest! - Jan. 10, 2019, Saint John's University in Collegeville
- Minneapolis Public Schools STEM & Career Exploration Expo - Jan. 31, 2019, Minneapolis Convention Center
- Rochester Area Chamber of Commerce STEAM Summit, Nov. 13, 2018
- Iron Range STEM Showcase in Hibbing, Oct. 5, 2018
- 3M Visiting Wizards Teacher Workshop, Oct. 5, 2018
- STEM Day at the Minnesota State Fair, Aug. 23, 2018
If you’re interested in having MnDOT STEM at your event, contact Marcia Lochner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-366-3097.