Planning assistance grants
Since 2006, MnDOT has funded SRTS planning at almost 300 schools across Minnesota. SRTS plans have been used engage community stakeholders to successfully to identify barriers and opportunities for youth to walk and bicycle to school and to leverage significant investments in infrastructure and non-infrastructure solutions.
MnDOT’s planning assistance grant provides planning expertise and plan development support to schools. Planning is completed by the local regional development organization, metropolitan planning organization, or the statewide SRTS planning consultant team. MnDOT will contract directly with the planning organizations and consultant. Applicants should be prepared to supply:
- A list of the applicant’s SRTS team
- Summary of SRTS work to date
- Description of the community’s ability to implement a plan
- If known, the number of children who currently walk and bicycle to school
- Letters of support from the school and local government organizations
New in 2017
- Mix of federal and state funds—high schools are eligible for funding
- New flexible planning options to better meet school and community needs
- All planning work must be completed by June 30, 2018 (work may begin fall 2017)
The application deadline for the 2017 planning grants is March 3, 2017. The application, guide and planning information sheet are provided below.
The planning assistance grant application is available as a word document. Please download the application, application guide and support materials to apply.