Planning assistance grants
Since 2006, MnDOT has funded SRTS planning at more than 200 schools across Minnesota. SRTS plans have been used engage community stakeholders to successfully to identify barriers and opportunities for youth to walk and bicycle to school and to leverage significant investments in infrastructure and non-infrastructure solutions.
MnDOT’s planning assistance grant provides planning expertise and plan development support to schools. Planning is completed by the local regional development organization, metropolitan planning organization, or the statewide SRTS planning consultant team. MnDOT will contract directly with the planning organizations and consultant. Applicants should be prepared to supply:
- A list of the applicant’s SRTS team
- Summary of SRTS work to date
- Description of the community’s ability to implement a plan
- If known, the number of children who currently walk and bicycle to school
- Letters of support from the school and local government organizations
New this year
- Mix of federal and state funds—high schools are eligible for funding
- New flexible planning options to better meet school and community needs
- All planning work must be completed by June 30, 2017 (work may begin spring 2016)
The application deadline for the 2016 planning grants has passed. Awardees will be notified by early April, 2016.
The planning assistance grant application is available as a word document. Please download the application, application guide and support materials to apply.
- Coming soon!