Certified landscape specialist training
MnDOT Standard Specifications for Plant Installation (2571) requires landscape contractors have a Certified Landscape Specialist on the project site at all times to perform or directly supervise plant installation and establishment. It is recommended that MnDOT and other agency or consultant inspectors also hold certification. Certification is valid for three years.
The MnDOT Roadside Vegetation Management and Environmental Planning and Design Units have collaborated to offer certification and recertification courses as a Landscape Specialist.
2019 class dates
- January 23, 2019 (Arden Hills)
- February 5, 2019 (Mankato)
Registration and refreshments to start at 7:30 a.m.
Complete and return the registration form above. Both the Arden Hills and the Mankato class sizes are limited to 65 people each. Registrants will be placed in their requested class on a first-received basis. If your requested class is full, you will be placed in the next available class. Payment must accompany the registration form. Fee for this course is $40 per person (includes lunch and all class materials). Make checks payable to "Commissioner of Transportation". Payment for multiple students going to the same class may be included on a single check.
Form and payment should be sent to:
395 John Ireland Blvd, MS 620
St. Paul, MN 55155
Online e-learning option
For those seeking to be recertified, we now offer an online recertification program. This option will involve a series of E-learning (online) modules and completing an online exam at the end. Upon completion of the E-learning program and passing the exam, you would be recertified for three years. Again, this option is available for recertification only, so if you have not been certified in the past or your certification has been expired for more than two years, you would have to attend one of the “live” classes instead. For those who prefer a live class for recertification, you can still use that option instead.
Non-MnDOT E-learning registration
Registration for the 2019 MnDOT Certified Landscape Specialist online e-learning recertification will be available mid-late January of 2019. Please check back then for registration information."
If you are a MnDOT employee wishing to register for the online recertification, contact:
Registration and fees will be subject to our cancellation policy. All cancellations must be made no later than seven calendar days prior to the class starting date. No refunds will be given after this time. Notice of cancellation must be in writing, by letter (see mail address above), fax (651-366-3603) or email to email@example.com.
Resources and forms
- MnDOT certified Landscape Specialists (PDF)
- Companies with certified Landscape Specialists (PDF)
- Inspection and Contract Administration Manual for MnDOT Landscape Projects, 2018 Edition (PDF)
- Landscape Contractor Scouting Report April through October (PDF)
- Landscape Contractor Scouting Report November through March (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plant Stock,Landscape Materials & Equipment Signature Page (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plant Stock Schedule (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Landscape Materials & Equipment (PDF)
- Pesticide Application Record template (PDF)
- Final Payment Checklist (PDF)