On May 14, 2012 the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) published two final rules to make things easier for local and state agencies. These rules resulted in two revisions to the 2009 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) . Revision 1 refers to the use of engineering judgment and studies. Revision 2 refers to compliance dates including:
- Compliance date for implementation and continued use of an assessment or management method was changed to June, 2014, and now applies only to regulatory and warning signs.
- Compliance dates for replacement of signs to meet minimum retroreflectivity were eliminated.
For more information see the Minnesota state aid Recent Revisions to Federal MUTCD Compliance Dates page
Traffic Sign Expected Life Project
The Minnesota Local Road Research Board funded a project to develop new expected sign life values. This will enable local agencies to better manage their traffic sign assets and decrease their costs by enabling more efficient sign replacement strategies.
- Develop sign life expectancies for sheeting materials used in Minnesota
- Identify the common drivers of sign replacements
- Provide guidance to local agencies on adoption of sign maintenance policies
Project Schedule (Revision #1, 04/14)
Task 1: Survey of Practice April 30, 2013
Task 2: Test Deck & Data Collection Plan June 30, 2013
Task 3: MnROAD Data Collection; FY 2013-2014
Task 4: MnROAD Data Collection; FY 2015
Task 5: MnROAD Data Collection; FY 2016-2017
Task 6: System Data Collection December 30, 2013
Task 7: Data Analysis, Recommendations, Report June 30, 2014
Resources for Project Participants
MnDOT Sign Test Deck