The I-35W bridge is lit on special occasions and in recognition of special events, including in honor of Worker's Memorial Day.
MnDOT receives dozens of requests each year from organizations asking to light the I-35W bridge a specific color for a particular event.
How do I apply for a special lighting of the I-35W bridge for an event?
- Submit an application letter to AestheticLightingRequests.DOT@state.mn.us requesting the special lighting for the event.
What do I include in the application letter?
- The name of your organization, address, phone number and email address. This should include your own contact information, as well.
- A description of the event you would like to recognize.
- The date of the event.
- The specific color you would like the bridge to be lit; preferably the official RGB color scheme.
When do I send in the application letter?
- Submit the letter to AestheticLightingRequests.DOT@state.mn.us at least 30 days in advance of the date of the event.
How do I know if my application has been approved?
- MnDOT‘s Metro District Engineer will review your application. You will be then be notified by MnDOT staff within 10 days of your submittal if the application has been approved or denied.
- An application that meets all of the requirements listed above will be granted depending on the lighting schedule. If another organization already has a lighting scheduled for the day of your requested event, your application will be denied.
- Approved requests will be granted for a maximum of one night. The lighting will take place 30 minutes before sunset and end 30 minutes after sunrise. Only one approved application will be granted per requester annually.