The I-35W bridge is lit on special occasions and in recognition of special events, including in honor of Worker's Memorial Day (April 27-28).
Aesthetic lighting replacement project
This project is completed.
MnDOT receives dozens of requests each year from organizations asking to light the I-35W bridge a specific color for a particular event.
How do I apply for a special lighting of the I-35W bridge for an event?
- Obtain a resolution adopted by the city of Minneapolis endorsing the event.
- Submit an application letter to John.Pedersen@state.mn.us requesting special lighting for the event.
What do I include in the application letter?
- The name of your organization, address, phone number and email address. This should include your own contact information as well.
- A description of the event you would like to recognize.
- The date of the event.
- The specific color you would like the bridge to be lit; preferably the official RGB color scheme.
- A copy of the resolution adopted by the city endorsing the event.
When do I send in the application letter?
- Submit the letter to John Pederson at John.Pedersen@state.mn.us at least 30 days in advance of the date of the event.
How do I know if my application has been approved?
- MnDOT‘s Metro District Engineer will review your application. You will be then be notified by MnDOT staff within 10 days of your submittal if the application has been approved or denied.
- An application that meets all of the requirements listed above will be granted depending on the lighting schedule. If another organization already has a lighting scheduled for the day of your requested event, your application will be denied.
- Approved requests will be granted for a maximum of one night. The lighting will take place 30 minutes before sunset and end 30 minutes after sunrise. Only one approved application will be granted per requester annually.