Highway 22 detour changes July 10
County Road 10 intersection opens
On July 10 the 2017 detour changed to include County Road 10, Highway 83 and Highway 30. Prior to this alteration, the detour extended north on Highway 83 to Blue Earth County Road 90. The intersection of Highway 22 and County Road 10 will have similar traffic control as is currently on County Road 90 – a three way stop with no stop for southbound Highway 22.
Highway 22 is a two-year project, but is expected to re-open to traffic in the fall.
- 2018 Detour will be necessary for northern segment and construction of roundabout at Hwy 22 and CR 90
About the projects
1. Reconstruction of Hwy 22 (2017-2018)
- This project includes Highway 22 from Mapleton to Blue Earth County Road 15.
- Resurface from 5th Avenue in Mapleton to one mile north
- Reconstruct from one mile north of Mapleton to CR 15
- Left turn lanes Blue Earth County Roads 8, 10, 15 and 16.
- Bypass lanes will be added at CR 62, CR 164, Twp 178, Twp 94, Twp 95
- The Big Cobb River Bridge at Beauford will be replaced.
- Includes a Passage Bench to allow wildlife to pass beneath the bridge safely
- Water treatment pond construction (MPCA requirement)
- Construction Staging
- 2017 Detour (new detour effective July 10)
- 2018 Detour
- Construction cost: $16.5 million
2. Safety Project at Hwy 22 and County Road 90 (2018)
- The intersection of Hwy 22 and CR 90 has a history of crashes
- This project includes constructing a roundabout at Highway 22 and Blue Earth County Road 90
- Includes a thin mill and overlay from Blue Earth County Road 15 to County Road 90
- Addition of left turn lanes into residential areas just north and south of County Road 90
- Includes structural snowfence in the northwest corner (Pioneer Seed area ) to reduce drifting
- Hwy 22 Detour / CR 90 Wayfinding / Local business access map (2018)
- Uses same detour as work on Hwy 22 in 2018
- TH 22 & CSAH 90 roundabout layout map
- Letter to landowners
- 2018 Draft Plans (mapping)
- 2018 layout of area map
- Joint safety project with Blue Earth County
- Cost estimate: $4 million
3. Victory Drive Memorial Corridor Project (2019)
- Replacing trees removed in 2017-18 with a project (to be determined with committee) to beautify Victory Drive and honor veterans
- Includes landscaping in Hwy 22/CR 90 roundabout
- Wayside rest closure and relocation of Victory Drive plaque/monument
- Formation of local steering committee for design decisions
- More information and visuals under Victory Drive Memorial or Victory Drive Memorial brochure
- Cost estimate: TBD