About this project
The public is invited to attend a celebration event on Nov. 9 for the opening of traffic on the new Hwy 14 route between Dodge Center and Owatonna.
The Hwy 14 expansion project celebration will be at 10 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 9 south of Claremont. The site will be determined more closely to the event based on whether traffic is on the new highway, but it will either be at Dodge County Rd 1 where the overpass crosses over the highway or at Dodge County Road 3, an interchange with the highway. Both are just south of Claremont.
Recent traffic changes
On Oct. 18, Steele County Road 16 west of Claremont re-opened. Access to SE 64th Ave., south of the current highway, closed permanently. The new access route is from SE 44th Ave. (Steele County Road 43) to SE 28th St., which intersects with SE 64th Ave.
Motorists are reminded that construction work continues at the site as crews prepare to open the new Hwy 14 to traffic. There is additional work that will take place on the project site to complete the project in spring-summer of 2022.
Current detours, traffic changes
- Trucks and buses on Hwy 14 that are required to stop for at-grade railroad crossings should follow detour signs to avoid the rail cross near Steele County Road 180, because no pullover lane is available. Trucks will utilize County Road 180 and Steele County Road 43 in each direction
- The detour will be in place until the new Hwy 14 route opens for traffic in fall of 2021
- Motorists who use Dodge County Road H between Dodge County Road 5 and Dodge Center must seek alternate routes because the road is closed.
- The closure of the County Road H near the underpass of existing Hwy 14 will be permanent on the west side of the underpass and the road will be changed into a cul-de-sac. On the east side of the underpass, the road closure will be a year-long and eventually redirect the road to connect with the old portion of Hwy 14 once the new route is completed.
- Northbound County Road 5 traffic wanting to reach Hwy 14 can travel south on County Road 5 to eastbound Dodge County Road 10 to northbound Hwy 56, which intersects with Hwy 14 at Dodge Center.
- Northbound 140th Ave. traffic wanting to reach Hwy 14 can travel west on 630th St. to County Road 3 northbound to Hwy 14 at Claremont.
2021 planned work
- More paving will be completed along the remaining 12.5-mile new route.
- Completion of the Dodge Co. Rd. 3 and Steele Co. Rd. 16 bridges.
- Construction and completion of the Hwy 14 interchange at Hwy 56 and Dodge Co. Rd. 5.
- Traffic is expected to be on the new Hwy 14 alignment in fall of 2021 with the project completed in 2022.
Summary of work
The project will expand 12.5 miles of Hwy 14 from two lanes to four lanes between Dodge Center and Owatonna to complete a continuous four-lane road between Mankato and Rochester. The project is intended to improve the capacity, safety, travel times and access between Rochester and Owatonna, as well as the I-35 corridor. The expansion area is a new route for Hwy 14, which will stay south of the railroad tracks on the west side of the project, travel south of Claremont and connect where the four-lane highway is west of Dodge Center.
Shafer Contracting of Shafer, Minn., is the prime contractor for the $107,997,119 construction project. Construction is scheduled to be completed by 2022. Traffic on the new Hwy 14 route is expected in 2021.