About the project
A coordinated effort
MnDOT, in cooperation with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, has currently started construction for the replacement of the Baudette/Rainy River International Bridge on Hwy 72 in the City of Baudette, Minn. and Hwy 11 in the Town of Rainy River, Ontario.
(updated Oct 01)
- During the summer the cntractor began doing site preparation and construction of a 250 foot temporary causeway into the Rainy River on the Minnesota side. This will give crews a working space to construct the bridge abutment and first river pier.
- The fall will be spent digging the column for the bridge footings and piers. For this project crews will be drilling instead of pile driving because the amount of rocks in the soils. You can see pictures of some of the large rocks that have been pulled out during drilling.
Visit the photo gallery to view pictures of construction progress.
- No significant work completed yet
- Overall traffic impacts will be minimal as the new bridge will be constructed along side of the old bridge.
- Through traffic will be maintained during the construction project.
- Traffic will encounter construction equipment on the Minnesota side which will be hauling equipment and material, to and from the temporary causeway that is adjacent to the existing bridge.