Temporary lane closures.
October 10 update
The original contract work for this project has been completed. Additional work has been added in preparation for the TPI project, which begins in 2020. The work involves tree cutting, which is only allowed in the fall, winter and early-spring due to the nesting season of bats. This work is scheduled to occur before December 13.
New rail crossings by BNSF
- All rail work related to this project is complete.
About this project
This local roads improvement project is being done to ensure these roads are in good condition prior to the start of construction on the Twin Ports Interchange project. The TPI project is scheduled to begin in 2020. During the three year construction project, motorists will be encouraged to use local streets as alternative routes.
Summary of work
- 46th Avenue West: Install a thin bituminous overlay from Hwy 2 to Grand Avenue - Complete
- 27th Avenue West: Install a thin bituminous overlay from I-35 to Michigan Street - Complete
- Garfield Avenue and Railroad Street intersection: Modify intersection to minimize delays, make turning movements safer and increase pavement strength - Complete
- Railroad Street: Remove two inches of pavement and overlay two inches of bituminous - Complete
- Garfield Avenue: Rehabilitate concrete pavement and restripe to four lanes until 2023. A temporary traffic control signal system will be installed at the Garfield/Railroad intersection in early 2020 - Complete
- New railroad crossing surfaces on Railroad Street, remove the vacated crossing