Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Labor Compliance

3 Workers on Jobsites


Labor Compliance accepts complaints involving nonpayment of prevailing wages for work performed under a transportation-related construction contract that is funded in whole or in part with state and/or federal funds.

File a wage complaint

  • Prevailing Wage Complaint Form (PDF)
    • If you suspect that your employer has not compensated you appropriately complete the form.
  • Complete a separate form for each project.
  • Provide a response to each question. If a response cannot be provided, please mark "unknown" (UKN) and/ or if you cannot be specific, please give a general or estimated response.
  • Provide additional records related to the work that you performed (e.g. check stubs, time cards, log books, haul slips, etc.). Please make copies of this information and submit with your complaint. Keep your original records.
  • Submit all information related to your claim, along with the complaint form to:
    MnDOT Labor Compliance unit
    Mail Stop 650
    395 John Ireland Blvd.
    Saint Paul, MN  55155-1800

Employee rights on highway construction project

Track your work hours with the app

DOL-Timesheet is an iPhone App developed by the U.S. Labor Department to help employees independently track the hours they work and determine the wages they're owed. The app is available in English and Spanish.

  • Instead of relying on their employers’ records, employees can track work hours, break time and overtime hours for one or more employers.

Outside legal action against my employer for failure to pay me prevailing wage

Pursuant with Minnesota Statute 177.27, Subdivision 8, an employee may bring a civil action against his/her employer for failure to comply with the compensation requirements under the Minnesota State Prevailing Wage Law. Please refer to the above-mentioned link for additional information.

If you were owed money on a prevailing wage project but never received it

Visit Minnesota Department of Commerce (Unclaimed Property Division) and follow the instructions.
MnDOT Labor Compliance has resolved thousands of prevailing wage claims over the years and as a result, many employees have received back wage checks from our office. However, in certain situations, MnDOT Labor Compliance is unable to locate each employee. Therefore, in accordance with state law, our office will forward all unclaimed back wage checks to the Minnesota Department of Commerce as "Unclaimed Property."