Airport Manager References: Airport Minimum Standards
Airport minimum standards are an important key in maintaining a high level of aeronautical service to the flying public and promoting the growth of businesses at airports. Minimum standards can help assist airport managers and owners in dealing with property related issues, tenant concerns and problems, and avoiding providing exclusive rights or discriminating against certain operations. Minimum standards can help protect the public, airport facilities, and the airport’s tenants. Below are resources to assist airport managers and owners in the development of airport minimum standards.
Airport Minimum Standards Boilerplate
MnDOT has created a boilerplate minimum standards template. MnDOT reviewed several publications and examples on minimum standards and realized that the task of creating minimum standards for an airport can seem overwhelming. To help, we put together this boilerplate document. While this document should make it easier for an airport to get started, each airport should review and modify the language to fit their needs.
Minimum Standards should go through a public process to be adopted. Part of that process should be a review by your legal counsel to ensure the language is appropriate and enforceable in your community.
We welcome feedback from users to help improve this document for others.
Resources and Guidance for Writing Minimum Standards:
- NATA – Airport Sponsors Guide to Minimum Standards & Airport Rules and Regulations (PDF)
- AOPA – Minimum Standards for Commercial Aeronautical Activities (PDF)
- Airport Cooperative Research Program – Survey of Minimum Standards (PDF)
- AirTAP – Managing Airport Property: Leases, Operating Agreements, and Minimum Standards (PDF)
- League of Minnesota Cities – Municipal Airport Owner’s Guide – Developing Airport Agreements (PDF)
Examples of Current Minimum Standards:
- St. Clouds Minimum Standards for the Conduct of Commercial Activities (PDF)
- Winsted Airport Minimum Standards Policy (PDF)
- Crookston Airport Handbook (PDF)
- Glencoe General Operations and Minimum Standards (PDF)
- Sample Minimum Standards for Commercial Aeronautical Activities – FAA Order 5190.6B, Appendix O (PDF)