is the planning, design and implementation of land use and transportation strategies in an effort to maintain a safe flow of traffic while accommodating the access needs of adjacent development.
Why Access Management?
Too many driveways, intersections and closely-spaced traffic signals along major roads cause problems:
- Crashes increase as vehicles cross and turn along the road in an uncoordinated manner
- Stop and go conditions frustrate commuters and local residents
- Adjacent businesses suffer when customers have trouble turning into their sites
- Freight and delivery trucks lose time and money when stuck in traffic
- Pedestrians can’t find a safe spot to cross the road
- Overall community livability suffers
What are the benefits?
Effective access management will:
- Reduce congestion and crashes
- Preserve road capacity and postpone the need for roadway widening
- Improve travel times for the delivery of goods and services
- Ease movement between destinations
- Support local economic development