Note: Live classes will not be held in 2021 due to COVID-19.
Certified landscape specialist training
MnDOT Standard Specifications for Plant Installation (2571) requires landscape contractors have a Certified Landscape Specialist on the project site at all times to perform or directly supervise plant installation and establishment. It is recommended that MnDOT and other agency or consultant inspectors become Certified Landscape Specialists when assigned landscape construction projects to help assure compliance of Spec 2571. Certification is achieved by participating in MnDOT classes and successfully passing MnDOT’s certification exam. Certification is valid for three years.
2021 MnDOT Certified Landscape Specialist Training Classes
For those seeking to be certified for the first time, a one-year provisional certification will be issued upon completion of MnDOT’s online E-learning requirements including a series of E-learning modules and successfully passing an online exam. In 2021 the cost for a provisional one-year certificate is $15.
Newly certified Landscape Specialists will need to attend an in-person class and successfully pass the exam in 2022 to receive a non-provisional 3-year Landscape Specialist Certification.
Those seeking to renew certification must complete the series of E-learning modules and successfully pass an online exam. Recertification is for three years. The cost is $40.
The registration form for the 2021 Certified Landscape Specialist online e-learning course is now available. Please fill out the form and mail it, along with payment to the address listed on the form.
MnDOT employees interested in registering for the 2021 Certified Landscape Specialist online course should do so through the link provided on the course announcement. There is no cost to MnDOT employees.
Payment from non-MnDOT enrollees must accompany the registration form. Make checks payable to "MnDOT Commissioner of Transportation." Payment for multiple registrants may be included on a single check. Class materials will be shipped upon payment.
Resources and forms
- MnDOT certified landscape specialists
- Inspection and Contract Administration Manual for MnDOT Landscape Projects, 2021 Edition (PDF)
- Landscape Contractor Scouting Report April through October (PDF)
- Landscape Contractor Scouting Report November through March (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plant Stock,Landscape Materials & Equipment Signature Page (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plant Stock Schedule (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Landscape Materials & Equipment (PDF)
- Pesticide Application Record template (PDF)
- Final payment checklist (PDF)