Public meetings and events
Information about upcoming meetings will be posted as details become available.
What we heard from the community
Public engagement has helped identify the community’s concerns and desired improvements for the project area. Over the past two years, the project planning team has had conversations with Anoka residents, businesses, and stakeholders via one-on-one phone calls, emails, small group listening sessions, meetings with nearby businesses, surveys, neighborhood meetings and open houses.
- Public meetings:
- In November 2022 approximately 80 people attended a public meeting at Anoka-Hennepin Education Service Center.
- In May 2022 over 300 people attended a public meeting at Anoka-Hennepin Education Service Center.
- In February 2022 a neighborhood meeting was hosted for residents near Martin St. and Pleasant St. intersections.
- In September 2021, community members were invited to complete a questionnaire to describe their problems, concerns, experiences and priorities for the Hwy 47 and BNSF railroad crossing. 1,039 residents, businesses, commuters and stakeholders completed the survey; their responses helped identify the project area’s main transportation problems and the ways that people wanted those problems to be addressed.
- Businesses and agency outreach:
- A1 Recycling
- Aero Materials
- Alter Metals
- Anoka County Fairgrounds
- Anoka County Parks Dept
- Anoka County staff
- County Board Meetings
- Anoka Hennepin School District
- Anoka Today Alano
- City of Anoka staff
- City Council meetings
- Emergency Services (fire, ambulance, police)
- JEM Auto Sales
- MN Firearms Training
Top concerns with delays due to:
- Trains and gate timing at the railroad crossing
- Rush hour backups
- Blocking due to vehicles turning into side roads and driveways
Top concerns with safety due to:
- Emergency Services response times
- Sight lines at and near the railroad crossing
- Tight curves
- Drivers taking alternate routes through neighborhoods
- Not enough separation of cars to bikes and pedestrians
Concerns with surrounding impacts:
- Significant impacts on local businesses, employees and customers
- Environmental impacts, specifically impacts on the river, floodway, park land and trails
Desired improvements in the project area:
- Provide either an overpass or underpass at the railroad crossing ; support for a two-lane bridge with potential for future widening to four lanes
- Improve conditions for emergency services
- Make road wider with either more lanes or turn lanes
- Ease the tight curves
- Ensure an appropriate speed for the curves and business/residential access