About this study
The study will explore options to improve safety on Hwy 12 between Hennepin Co. Rd. 90 in Independence and Co. Line Rd. in Delano.
Summary of work
The existing conditions of Hwy 12 are being studied because of the high crash history on Hwy 12 within the City of Independence. This will determine if road improvements could aid in reducing crashes.
To begin the process, a study was completed which pinpointed the traffic problems. These problems become the guideline that future projects need to address.
Before various options can be chosen to address these problems, a custom scoring system is developed. This assures that the options are graded against criteria that is customized to the project and meets its specific needs.
- Presentation: This 10-minute video summarizes why we’re here, where we are going, and how you can provide input.
- Purpose and Need: This official report, called the “Purpose and Need Statement” explains why MnDOT is undertaking a project and its main objectives. The “need” identifies the problems to be addressed. The “purpose” broadly states the expected results.
- The primary purpose is to improve vehicular safety.
- The secondary purpose is to improve drive times which currently experiences high rush hour delays.
- View full document (PDF)
- Scoring criteria: This scoring system is customized to the project area and its needs. The design options are graded against one another. The criteria fall into these categories:
- Vehicle Safety
- Vehicle Mobility (Drive time)
- Property Impacts
- Recreational Impacts
- View detailed criteria (PDF)